Hi everyone,
I have a pair of Altec 604-8H Duplex drivers. One of them is missing the fabric ring that sits between the woofer cone and the base of the Mantaray horn — the piece sometimes called "dust bib" or "top spider".
I know this part is not included in any recone kit (Speaker Exchange and others all say to reuse the original), and GPA is no longer around to source it.
My question is specifically about the material: it is clearly softer and thinner than a conventional speaker spider — more like a fine woven cloth or thin fabric. Has anyone here actually fabricated a replacement for this piece? If so:
- What material did you use?
- Where did you source it?
- Any tips on cutting and gluing it correctly so it doesn't restrict cone travel?
I have the driver that still has the original piece, so I can measure the ID and OD — I just need to identify the right fabric before I cut anything.
Thanks in advance. Any help from those who have done recones on the 604-8H or 604-8K (same horn) is very much appreciated.
I have a pair of Altec 604-8H Duplex drivers. One of them is missing the fabric ring that sits between the woofer cone and the base of the Mantaray horn — the piece sometimes called "dust bib" or "top spider".
I know this part is not included in any recone kit (Speaker Exchange and others all say to reuse the original), and GPA is no longer around to source it.
My question is specifically about the material: it is clearly softer and thinner than a conventional speaker spider — more like a fine woven cloth or thin fabric. Has anyone here actually fabricated a replacement for this piece? If so:
- What material did you use?
- Where did you source it?
- Any tips on cutting and gluing it correctly so it doesn't restrict cone travel?
I have the driver that still has the original piece, so I can measure the ID and OD — I just need to identify the right fabric before I cut anything.
Thanks in advance. Any help from those who have done recones on the 604-8H or 604-8K (same horn) is very much appreciated.