• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

To DAC or not to DAC...that is the question.

Analog Dawg

New Member
I have a modest set-up..Sony PS-LX310 TT (from the 80’s not the current Bluetooth model of the same name) a Sony DVP-S7700 cd/dvd player and a JVC RX-717V receiver.

Will I see a significant jump in audio quality if I use a $100 DAC (such as a schiit mod 3) for my turntable or CD player instead of running the components directly into my JVC receiver?

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks tnsilver. I realize that my CD player already has a DAC and that my TT needs a pre-amp which is currently provided via the phono input of my receiver. Question is whether a separate/external DAC (generally considered higher quality than the built-in DAC’s in a receiver) for my CD player and a separate/external pre-amp for my TT will significantly increase audio quality enough so that it is worth the $100. Thanks again.
 
Relax tnsilver...this is just an online inquiry, no need to get bent out of shape. If you read my second post I refer to a pre-amp for my TT not a DAC. My CD player does have digital (optical and coax) outputs so it has the ability to connect to an external DAC.

But it seems that you are unable to emotionally handle this post tnsilver...so maybe it’s best that you just refrain and I’ll wait to see if someone else has better advice.
 
Yes, a separate Phono Preamp would be better but not any i think your price of $100 would do.

If your handy with a solder iron I would suggest you build the phono preamp in my signature. there are links to the original
thread .

Athanasios
 
Thanks Nashou66. That’s what I suspected...especially since I don’t have an audiophile level system so prob overkill for what I have.
 
I doubt a $100 DAC is going to make a difference at all, unless it's a $30 department store CD player, in which case it won't have digital outputs anyways. This belongs in the digital forums from here.
I respectfully disagree. Several years ago I bought an Onkyo DX-7555 ($599 retail price), thinking that it would surely sound better than my cheap old pioneer BPC players. Well, it didn't. Thought about sending it back but decided to keep it. Fast forward a few years and I got to reading about DAC's. Bought a Schiit Modi Multi and the difference/improvement in SQ is amazing. I've since purchased a Topping D30, and a Modi 3 (for other systems), and have tried them with the Onkyo. They are not quite as good as the Multi (to my ears), but still far and away better than DAC in the Onkyo.

The Schiit Modius gets rave reviews, although it is bit more $ than the 3. If I didn't already have 3 DAC's, and had the extra cash, I'd buy one.

So yes, a separate DAC can, and probably will, improve the SQ of your player. Keeping in mind of course that you will need at least a half way decent amp and speakers to hear said difference. ;)
 
Good info rickb119. I can buy a Schiit module 3 for $70 and since my Sony S7700 was a reference player in its day (2000ish) I can’t help but think there is more to tap with this player especially since I think it’s strength is in its transport rather than internal DAC. I might just fork over the $70 and see what I get. Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom