• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Today's find: JBL D130's in kit (?) cabs

I probably ought to shoot some more pics of the cabinets, because parts of them are in pretty rough shape - the bottom edges along the sides are missing some strips of veneer.

I do think they look pretty good head on, and wouldn't need too much work to clean up the tops and fronts. Then all I'd need is some new veneer on the sides, and voila!

Great... I was thinking I'd just turn these around to help fund other ventures. Now you guys are making me have second thoughts... And I know dang well that these are not going to pass the beauty test around here, even after some TLC.

On another note... would the drivers make good candidates for an open baffle project?
 
Carl's right, "wide range" yes, full range no.

I dont believe that you would be satisfied in the long run running with the D130 alone. I would treat it as a midbass driver and put a horn on it.

Maybe its time to go active eh Nate?

RC
 
doucanoe said:
I dont believe that you would be satisfied in the long run running with the D130 alone. I would treat it as a midbass driver and put a horn on it.

Maybe its time to go active eh Nate?
Hmmm...

So now, instead of selling these things and making some money, I'm buying some expensive horns and an expensive active crossover and...

I've got some considerin' to do.

Multimeter read 6 ohms on each of these. Is that okay?
 
Redboy said:
Hmmm...

So now, instead of selling these things and making some money, I'm buying some expensive horns and an expensive active crossover and...

I've got some considerin' to do.

Well, if you have the room, keep 'em.

I sold a set like that with the potato masher LE-175 horns and wished I hadn't. I've scrounged a lot of gear since then, but wish I kept those, at least for a bit longer.
 
Redboy said:
Hmmm...

So now, instead of selling these things and making some money, I'm buying some expensive horns and an expensive active crossover and...

I've got some considerin' to do.

Multimeter read 6 ohms on each of these. Is that okay?


6 ohm on your meter eh? Im not sure what to make of that.

Here's an idea though, I have a pair of Altec 511b's with 808-8a drivers sitting around. If we could figure out the x-over and l-pad deal, we could try them with the D-130's. I would really like to hear that combo with the D-130's in those cabs. Right down my alley and would make for a great mad scientist experiment.

They are not going to dig down to the depths of hell but I bet the combo would be very pleasing.

RC
 
CarlV said:
I respectfully have to disagree. :yes: They suck at reproducing above 3hz in my experience no matter what they say.


Carl


Now ya got me thinking Carl. I'm pretty sure that my cabinets are stand alone D130's. I'll have to take the backs off again and take another peek in there, they have always sounded great to my ears anyways... :scratch2:
 
doucanoe said:
Here's an idea though, I have a pair of Altec 511b's with 808-8a drivers sitting around. If we could figure out the x-over and l-pad deal, we could try them with the D-130's. I would really like to hear that combo with the D-130's in those cabs. Right down my alley and would make for a great mad scientist experiment.
Oh man, that sounds like fun! :banana:

I wonder if we could get one of the DIY guys to cobble together a good schematic for the crossover - I could probably solder it up.
 
Redboy said:
Oh man, that sounds like fun! :banana:

I wonder if we could get one of the DIY guys to cobble together a good schematic for the crossover - I could probably solder it up.

A lot of the great sounding JBL homebuilt kit 2-way speakers used a good driver for the upper mid and HF along with the D130. There were lots of kits sold like that if you go to the web based Altec/JBL forums you can look at them and the specs. If you go 2-way like a lot of folks did here is a link to a new company selling DIY bare board, kit, and the assembled 2-way active crossover. This is what I will be buying when I find some cabinets for my 16 ohm vintage 15" Altec Duplex drivers. For my dedicated stereo only system I use a active Marchand tube x-over. For a bedroom set up the kit crossover from the company below fits my needs. If the damage is not that bad on the wood veneer on them you can pick up better wood repair kits on flea bay that have a hot iron that melts different colored repair sticks to fill in damage on wood furniture and speakers. I paid only $70 or so for mine that was used at a weekend pro furniture repair course. It is not the cheap ones you see sold for $19.99. Good luck with your new speakers. John

http://www.audio-kits.com/page/page/4071180.htm
 
Well, I looked over the cabinets again today, and they're not as bad as I thought they were. The wheels are turnin'...
 
Well, I just them hooked up to the Pilot, and my first knee-jerk reaction was "Where'd the bass go?!" Sit back a little, and the mids kick in... Now we're talkin'! I am surprised at how high these things reach, too.

Pretty sweet for a single driver. And the cabs are looking a little nicer after some oil soap. I think they'll clean up well.
 
Back
Top Bottom