• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

todays garage sale find - Pioneer Elite A-88X integrated amp

update. the right channel has been cutting in and out the past couple of days.. and I've smelled a burning smell as well. I think the right ch amp may be going out.

to rule out anything with the speakers.. I checked all the inside speaker wires and crossovers, and purchased new speaker wire. So far so good.. but every once in a while the right ch will drop down in volume by about 40 t0 50%.

So I'm going to take it in for service.

anyone know if this amp is suppose to be able to handle 4ohm or lower loads?

Nice find for this little money:thmbsp:
But please bring it to service before running it too long. If you smell the heat,something is not ok. At least the bias needs adjustment. So don't ruin it!
 
Nice find for this little money:thmbsp:
But please bring it to service before running it too long. If you smell the heat,something is not ok. At least the bias needs adjustment. So don't ruin it!

Oops! to late. it's now dead to the world. no power at all. zilch. i'm bummed, since it sounded so much better than my NAD amp and Kenwood pre amp.

I hear though that parts are still available for this int amp. Do you think it was the power supply or what agger?
 
I'm gonna stick my neck out here.............

The amp is no doubt well built and sounds good and was a bargain !
BUT, it made me realise I'd rather a not-so-well-sounding silver unit with lights and dials and style.
Again......great find DangerBoy, but gee I guess the looks of a unit mean more to me than I realised..

Hope you get it fixed without too much hassle.
 
Oops! to late. it's now dead to the world. no power at all. zilch. i'm bummed, since it sounded so much better than my NAD amp and Kenwood pre amp.

I hear though that parts are still available for this int amp. Do you think it was the power supply or what agger?

You Troll ! Yes, you should not have used the unit before service if it behaves unnormal. OK, here we are now.
What happend? I can't see from here. But if you say - no power - I think a fuse has blown. You can check that.
The reason for that may be in the power supply, but often it is on channel of the power amp which made the problem. I hope you haven't blown a pair of output drivers.
 
wow. that's harsh calling someone a troll.. anyway, yeah i'm not happy that it's now toast. it well could be a fuse, but there is also something more serious wrong with it i'm sure.
either way.. i found a site online that talks about this amp, and that most all parts for it are still available. not cheap though. ugh.
 
Danger Boy, I know this thread dates back to 2007, but did you ever get your A-88x fixed? Just went through similar issues with mine. Oscillation due to bad solder joints. It's singing now.
 
Back
Top Bottom