• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Today's JAZZ playlist

k45986849651.jpg


The Dealer
Chico Hamilton
1967 impulse! A-9130 (Mono)

v84571266621.jpg


My CD/LP/Tape Collection
 
Ni00ODkyLmpwZWc.jpeg


One of you posted this earlier this week and it prompted me to pull it off the shelf and spin it. It's an interesting record.

Recorded in 1959 and released in 1960 on Mercury records as Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago. This copy is a later release on the Limelight label. Never super-clear on how that works, but ...

So, pre-60s Coltrane. Both he and Adderley are burning, but the melodies, especially on the A side are pretty pedestrian.

Recorded the same year as Kind of Blue and the rhythm section struck me as odd until I realized that this was the exact lineup as Kind of Blue on one track.

Wynton Kelly - Piano
Paul Chambers - Bass
Jimmy Cobb - Drums

Chambers and Kelly played together quite a bit, but I don't associate them (together) with either Coltrane or Adderley and I don't think about either with Jimmy Cobb (except for that one track)

I don't actually have much context for Jimmy Cobb outside of Kind of Blue, though Discogs tells me he was on a bunch of recordings. The only two in my collection are this record and Kind of Blue.

I generally regard Kind of Blue as a very laid back album, but Cobb is anything but on these sides and Wynton is doing some sick comping. Chambers sounds great. I didn't look at the personnel before spinning it and was going to blindfold test myself. I got the entire rhythm section wrong (I'm usually better). So, back to, really, almost campy melodies, but burning playing once you're past the head and a couple of beautiful ballads. Really nice sides all round. The sound is good and everyone played outstanding, just sort of an odd session. It's a keeper, though. I should probably go listen to some more Jimmy Cobb recordings.
 

Steve Slagle, David Lee Jones (alto saxophones)John Stubblefield, Craig Handy, Chris Potter (tenor saxophones)Gary Smulyan (baritone saxophone)Randy Brecker, Philip Harper, Ryan Kisor (trumpets)Ku-Umba Frank Lacy, Jamal Haynes, Earl McIntyre (trombones)Kenny Drew, Jr. (piano)Andy McKee (bass)Adam Cruz (drums)
 
Back
Top Bottom