• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tonearm for Audio Technica AT-OC9XSL or ART9

Ideally, a very light tonearm. I have measured resonances of around 7.5 to 8 Hz with my OC9XML mounted to a 6 g eff. mass tonearm.

That being said, I have used it on a much heavier arm without apparent issues, although the resonance is likely closer to 5 Hz.
 
How about Audiomods’ Series Six arm? I see they have been mentioned here and there, and was reading that someone paired it with an ART9 cart. It seems the designer sends headshell plates and counterweights according to the cart specs.
Ideally, a very light tonearm. I have measured resonances of around 7.5 to 8 Hz with my OC9XML mounted to a 6 g eff. mass tonearm.

That being said, I have used it on a much heavier arm without apparent issues, although the resonance is likely closer to 5 Hz.
Thank you. If you don’t mind my asking, what arms you have used?
 
I know that the damping can be adjusted (I always keep mine at 5 as some of the fluid has leaked out), but how does that change the effective mass?

I’m getting my info from the brochure as attached (15.5g). Another one listed it as 25.5g with a 9.5g cartridge, or 16g. Of course, the effective mass can be slightly reduced by using a lighter headshell.

EA52E85B-ECB9-4616-A32F-93F7568582EE.jpeg
 
Adjustable damping is not the same as adjustable EM. May be confusion that the adjuster moves in and out, but that’s just the reality of having to move a magnet. The adjuster “cup” and magnet are rather light, so wouldn’t make a meaningful difference anyway.

The 500-series wands have that same dynamic damping including the fluid chamber, only the magnet position is fixed.
 
Adjustable damping is not the same as adjustable EM. May be confusion that the adjuster moves in and out, but that’s just the reality of having to move a magnet. The adjuster “cup” and magnet are rather light, so wouldn’t make a meaningful difference anyway.

The 500-series wands have that same dynamic damping including the fluid chamber, only the magnet position is fixed.
They will make a difference though, moving them outwards will increase the effective mass.
Chris
 
Thank you all. Take a look at these if you will; I invite any discussion you may have about these arms or others.

-AudioMods Series Six. Well regarded by users. Effective mass 8-22g depending on cartridge plate. The designer includes the plates and counterweights to match the arm to the buyer's cartridge.
-Moerch has some well-regarded tonearms, and their effective mass is 4g, 7.5 or 14g. Pretty expensive if we go above the UP-4 model.
-Sorane/Abis ZA12 12" transcription arm. Hard to find an effective mass number.
-Grace G series arms. These are used and mostly are available from Japan.
 
Thank you all. Take a look at these if you will; I invite any discussion you may have about these arms or others.

-AudioMods Series Six. Well regarded by users. Effective mass 8-22g depending on cartridge plate. The designer includes the plates and counterweights to match the arm to the buyer's cartridge.
-Moerch has some well-regarded tonearms, and their effective mass is 4g, 7.5 or 14g. Pretty expensive if we go above the UP-4 model.
-Sorane/Abis ZA12 12" transcription arm. Hard to find an effective mass number.
-Grace G series arms. These are used and mostly are available from Japan.
Of these, I would probably go with the AudioMods or the Moerch.

I don’t have any personal experience with any of them, but have heard good things about the AudioMods.

The 4g Moerch wand would likely pair well with the OC9XSL or ART9XI, which have the highest dynamic compliance numbers of any AT cartridges. Some may believe that any MC cartridge won’t sound right with a light arm no matter how high its compliance, but I have not found that to be the case.

I might recommend considering an OC9XML, which actually has a more advanced stylus profile for substantially less money (Thakker has the best deals on all of these). I would like to try out an XSL one day, though.

I had an ART9XA, but it did not impress me compared to the XML and AT33PTG/II.
 
They will make a difference though, moving them outwards will increase the effective mass.
Chris

Not sure why the “they/them” label as it’s one very small magnet in the cap, but it’s (cap and magnet assembly) ~9g and can move 8mm. Someone else can do the math, but it’s nada for impact.
 
Last edited:
Not sure why the “they/them” label as it’s one very small magnet in the cap, but it’s (cap and magnet assembly) ~9g and can move 8mm. Someone else can do the math, but it’s nada for impact.
I think it is heavier than that and 8mm is a lot.
Chris
 
This is SME V 10/11gram with ATOC9MLii 8g and Wallys Fulcrum 0.5g total mass, no finger lift, vinyl light screws say 20gram total, Vertical resonance 9.5Hz, Lateral 6.5Hz.
Stated dynamic compliance 9 at 100Hz, Actual vertical compliance 14, Actual lateral 30,,,,

If i have 1 gram weight error the vertical/lateral compliance change by 0.7/1.5cu

The peak moves in expected direction when I change effective mass.(Unlike Korf who did not se effect of changing compliance, I think it is more relevant to see effect of mass)

1716557812968.png
 
Last edited:
Thank you to all. I’ve placed a build order for an AudioMods Series Six. The table supports a second arm that can be added later, so naturally your efforts are not in vain.
 
Back
Top Bottom