• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

too many knobs!! help!

davestradamu

Swimming in Sound
hello, now that i have fooled you into thinking this thread is about some monster silver-face with 100 knobs, i would like some help. :smoke:

This question concerns the volume/gain knobs on my DAC, pre and amp.

The volume knob on my DAC is full on and bypassed
The volume knob on my pre is what i use to control volume
The gain knobs on my amp are almost all the way full. (i only have 75wpc into maggies so i thought that might help)

I have played around with different methods of adjusting the volume and each sounds different, but i cant decide which is best.

High level on preamp? <- makes slight hiss
High level on amp? <- slightly less hiss

either way the noise floor is still very quiet compared to other systems i have put together.

what do you guys do with your separates if your amp has gain knobs?

cheers!
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't have that option with the set-up I have. I used to have adcom and ended up doing what you did (adjust - try - repeat). I can't recall exactly where I had them set, but I ended up with everything set toward the middle settings and tweaking. I'm sure someone else will be along soon with more help.
 
My experience has been to crank the pre about half-way, then use the amp for volume control. Works well for me...
 
0 db is actually wide open. A simple power amplifier with no level controls is considered 0 db at the output.
 
Back
Top Bottom