• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Too rich for my blood...

Register to hide this ad
That's real pretty horn. Too spendy for me, too, especially since the incremental improvement in sound quality over something costing one tenth (or even one hundredth) of that is likely pretty small. IMHO.
 
Once he halves it two more times he will finally have a chance of selling it.

Should time out to hopefully the end game of the covid playing out. Another + for a chance at a sale.

Funny how for less the half the asking can buy the new jbl m2 reference monitors system. With replacement parts actually available to boot.

To each their own...
 
Those are incredibly high end components. Worth 40k? I don’t know, but they really are on a different level to most of the stuff posted on AK.
 
I would value this at the used cost of the components. From the description I have no confidence in the design of this Frankenspeaker. I doubt the crossovers are correct and they were certainly not checked in an Anechoic chamber.

Having the tweeter horn perpendicular to the main horn raises questions too.
 
Having the tweeter horn perpendicular to the main horn raises questions too.

The crossover to the tweeter isn't given, but the dispersion of the ET-703 and orientation of its horn is dictated by the frequency, basically if you cross it above 10khz, use the ET703 with the slot in horizontal position, if you cross it under 10khz, use it in vertical position.

djnagle said:
You could easily reproduce those for 5 grand-ish. I bet they sound wonderful.

Last pair of new ET-703s I saw for sale were almost half that $5K
 
The 4001 will go as high as the 703s so they are not needed. These are what I was thinking of.

https://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/speaker/model2402-e.html

I don't agree that a 4in compression driver will go as high as a dedicated super tweeter - the specs on the 2402 say 20kHz, but the output up there is going to be the remnants of break up, not actual signal.

More thoughts here

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...mpression-Drivers-Opinions-on-TD-4001-vs-4003

"The top end is not where the magic is happening. In my opinion neither of these drivers really works without a tweeter. I realize that TAD used both of them in large two-way monitors, but I disagree with their approach. While they work very well in that application, I find the air and delicate shimmer achieved once a tweeter is properly integrated is well worth the extra expense.

I have listened extensively to both drivers and while they share the trait of delivering spectacular detail resolution and a very neutral, low distortion sound, in these instances the 4003 is decidedly superior. Is it worth the extra expense? For me, I felt it was, but it may not be the case for everyone.


Widget"
 
Mine always sound as good as any super tweeter. Unless you're 18 years old you'll never hear that high anyway.
 
The tad 2001 is more likely to reach top end of a tweeter imo. Clearly at the cost of the mid range of a 4001.

Agreed allot of great drivers in the mix. But no where near 40k worth. And there are ALLOT of amazing affordable new drivers being made these days.
 
Back
Top Bottom