• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Top vintage 3 head cassette decks

I can't believe no one's mentioned the Denon DR-M44HX deck yet? It's my "new" main system deck.
Ooops; it's black. Well, then the DR-M3 it replaced is quite nice.

I like Akai's also. Had a GXC-725D for years and have a GX-7 as a backup now.
 
I have a Mitsubishi DT-40s silver solid aluminum face deck and it sounds simply breathtaking. Built like a tank. It's off duty down for maintenance, but it's an awesome deck. Three heads, dual capstan, Dolby, metal capable, bias calibration, full logic controls, huge, beautiful VU meters, digital counter, etc.... the works. It's an open transport kind, like the Pioneer CT-F950, CT-F1250, etc. (which I have).

To my eyes, it's head and shoulders above a CT-F850, on par with a CT-F950 and just slightly behind a CT-F1250.

But it's twin, huge VU meters are a beauty to behold.
 
My Silver Faced Decks.

Here is my list:
I like ALL my decks rotate there play time to keep them alive.

JVC KD-A7 (3) 1st deck.
JVC KD-A33
JVC KD-85
JVC KD-A8
JVC KD-A55 (2)
JVC KD-A5J
JVC KD-3030

Pioneer CT-F6161
Pioneer CT-F700 (2)
Pioneer CT-F850
Pioneer CT-F950
Pioneer CT-F9191
Pioneer CT-F1000 (4)

Thanks,
John.:music:
 
JVC KD-3030 parts...

Strawman said:
JVC, Akai, & Teac/Tascam would come to mind, as well as Nakamichi. I have several nice 2 head decks also, the only real benefit to me would be able to monitor the recording, which I never do anyways. I have a nice JVC KD-3030 and Nakamichi 480 that are very strong performers with much less of the problems associated with the the Pioneers. If they're in top shape, they need no refurb. Some people here do total teardown/rebuilds on these things like you would an engine in a cherished auto. To me, cleaning, and belt replacement is the extent of my skills.

Hi ,
I see you own a JVC KD-3030, beautiful machine. Mine needs belts..and idlers.
Any info for these parts? Cassettes Rule...

Thanks,
John.:music:
 
I've entered the digital age. I still use cassettes occasionally, but most of my recording is now done on MiniDisc.

MD decks don't have the visual appeal of a cassette deck, however. But the MD format has many advantages over cassette in most applications.

If you like to record live radio, AM or FM, the MD will record about 5.5 hours of program. Editing is extremely easy and unbelieveably accurate.

But a MD deck won't play your cassettes. A distinct disadvantage.

Rick
 
Tapehead47 said:
I've entered the digital age. I still use cassettes occasionally, but most of my recording is now done on MiniDisc.

MD decks don't have the visual appeal of a cassette deck, however. But the MD format has many advantages over cassette in most applications.

If you like to record live radio, AM or FM, the MD will record about 5.5 hours of program. Editing is extremely easy and unbelieveably accurate.

But a MD deck won't play your cassettes. A distinct disadvantage.

Rick

Hi Rick,

An MD deck is about the only type I do not own, maybe I will try one out, any brand suggestions? Maybe I can use that for my FM recording.

Thanks,
John.:music:
 
If you don,t mind 2 head a Nakamichi 600 series is a great deck,, great specs,, nice VUs ,,i,ve had mine for about 30 odd years never needed a repair not to many other decks can can brag about that kind of realability i,ve seen them on e-pray going for reasonable prices ,,if i ever switch it would be for the 1000 series
 
Maybe ten years ago I needed a new deck and shopped around, finally buying a new Sony 3 head (The model number escapes me since it is in storage) and used it until I purchased a Tascam 122B made for studio use in the 70's. I did an A/B on them and the 25 year old Tascam beat the then 5 or 6 year old Sony big time! Teac did put out a consumer version with a silver face plate which as I recall is the C3 or C5 something like that, maybe there was an X in the number somewhere, but they are on ebay all the time and look just like the 122. That would be my suggestion, Teac for silver or Tascam for black.

Clyde
 
Can't believe no one's mentioned the Nakamichi LX-3 or LX-5, the LX-3 is only a two head deck, but both are very nice decks and 3s go regularly for under $100 on eBay.

Sony also made lots of nice decks in the late '70s/ early 80s.
 
An MD deck is about the only type I do not own, maybe I will try one out, any brand suggestions? Maybe I can use that for my FM recording.

a sony mds jb-930 or the slighty less feature rich sony mds je-530..either machine will give your turntable,cd player and tape decks an extended holiday once you begin to use them..
the jb-930 has a keyboard input which sounds like a gimmick..until you use it that is...
you can edit and title tracks as easy as i'm typing this...
the sound of the jb 930 should give any nakamichi a fright...too close to the source for my own ears to tell..(even through very revealing headphones..(grado sr 60/senn hd 555 or senn hd 595) and as a bonus minus any tape related hiss..
the in built dacs are probably as good if not better than that in your cd player...so you might find yourself using the machine as a dac for your cd as well as a first rate recorder too...
but..don't take my word for it..do a search for some reviews..you'll be glad to have such a versatile recorder...and even recording to tape from minidisc can be great fun...
+12 db of recording level boost allows you to even out the levels from whatever source so they have consistent peaks once recorded to minidisc...transferring to tape then means you only have to set your recording level on your tape decks once...
 
Here are some more gems. The Nakamichi LX 5 is a best buy. Look for the BIC T-3, a marvelous sounding deck, but will need belts. HK had a bunch of good 3 head decks: hk400xm, hk3500, CD401. And one more silver beast, the Beocord 8000 and 8500.
 
Folks,

Any of you guys know of "direct-loading" tape transport, or "open-loading" tape transport decks other than:

Pioneer CT-F series
Mitsubishi DT series (some of them)
Alpage
Sansui (some)
Revox/Studer

and maybe Eumig (not sure)?

Thanks!

Mike
 
Molasar said:
Folks,

Any of you guys know of "direct-loading" tape transport, or "open-loading" tape transport decks other than:

Sansui (some)


Thanks!

Mike

Well in answer to the OP and this one, I bought my Sansui SC3110 new back in the day. First test I did was to record a clean album, and play it back and AB the results to the record. Neither I nor my musician best friend could tell the difference! (I did the same with a Teac A-400 I had previous to the Sansui, before it got stolen, same results)

I'm not sure if either are 3 head decks, I believe so, but the sound on both of these was great. The only reason we don’t still listen to the Sansui is the heads on the it are worn out, and it needs servicing and belts. Mine was the black version; however, I picked up a silver face SC3110 with a wood case with pristine heads to use to replace the heads so I know it is available silver.

The heads had good reason to be worn out, the tape deck got 100X the use of the turntable. We would buy a record, tape it and play the tape to preserve the record, most of the time. Witness the TT is still in perfect condition and has only needed a belt for obvious reasons and a cart as the original was bent at some time (never did figure out when that happened)

I’m not sure if the heads were killed by abrasive tapes, or if they are soft compared to other heads. All I do know is they are worn like the grand canyon!
 
I'll vote for the Sony TC-K81. It's a three head, two motor drive (one for the capstan and one for the reels). Bought it new in 1980 and it's still going strong. Changed the belts a couple of years ago even though the old ones were still OK. Drop of oil here and there now and again. Did some mods to the circuitry just to improve things a little.

Bryan
 
Tandberg, any of them and you can keep the rest. not flaming any of them but if you own a tandberg and get it in spec you won't need any other period.
 
I believe the best sounding Cassette deck ever is the Tandberg TCD 910 (the Dragon killer)

t-tcd-910.jpg


I also believe that the best built cassette deck ever is the Revox B710

b710_main.jpg


In RtR I believe the most advanced, the best built and the best sounding machine ever must be the Nagra T.

31_Nagra_4T_reel_to_reel.jpg


Competing very much on sound and build quality is Lyrec, allthough they come much more simple in features and handling - unless they were ordered from the factory with special features.

tr55qc.jpg


Kindly
"dolph"
 
Last edited:
KX-2030 for sure - a RARE monster.....
but KX-1300 or 1003 is not bad either.... I've got one...:D

kx-1000.JPG


49209;jsessionid=B60E383761257A8455889DEA531D5151


And Nakamichi DRAGON!!!

nakamichidragon1.jpg



Marantz 1015 or 1025 for it simple analog beauty...

161252526


Marantz SD 7

marantzsd7.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom