• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Topping E30 Filters

ProBlogger

Well-Known Member
I've owned the Topping E30 for several weeks now. I wanted to share my experience with the E30 filters for anyone who may be considering this DAC.

The first thing I did was to experiment with several power supplies to see if it made a difference to performance. To some degree it did. The power supply that I ended up using was from my first Roku streamer that I had sitting in a box. 5 volts, 2.5 a.

My source is a NAD 516BEE CD player through digital coax. My other sources include an Ocean Digital WR-10 Internet radio (coax) and a Sony MDS-JE500 Mini Disc Recorder via the optical input.

I've listened through both headphones (AKG 712 and AKG Q701) and loudspeakers, and to my ears there is a logical order to the filters:

Filter 1: Brightest, for reference I'll call it cold.
Filter 2: Cold - middle
Filter 3: Center - Cold (default)
--------- Center -----------
Filter 4: Center - Warm
Filter 5: Warm - middle
Filter 6: Warmest

The default is Filter 3. A few reviewers have said they prefer Filter 4, which to my ears is on the warmer side of center.

For me, I use 2 filters. Listening to headphones, I prefer Filter 3. When listening with my loudspeakers, I prefer Filter 4.

I am really enjoying the E30 and I like the ability to select different filters.

With anything audio, YMMV.

Has anyone else had a similar listening experience with the E30 filters?
 
Register to hide this ad
I think I hear some minute differences on a DX3 Pro DAC which is also based on an AKM chip and their filters, but I suspect I won't be able to tell in a blind test. I definitely can't hear differences between filters on ESS chip based DACs, even in a sighted test. The fact that I don't hear above 14-15khz probably explains it, as the filters affect frequency response higher than that. Because the differences are so small I don't sweat it and just set linear fast rolloff and forget about it.
 
I just got my E30 today, and it was hard making a determination. I'm sure the fact that I'm breaking in a new pair of speakers, and rolling tubes to see which sound best with said speakers didn't help.
 
Here's is the E30's filter performance, courtesy of ASR. #4 is a slow filter which allows more byproduct ultrasonic junk to flow downstream of the DAC and can potentially cause IMD products in the audible band. The ultimate test of course is to try and tell filters apart in a blind test, I know I will fail it. One reason you may like #4 better is that it starts to cut into response at lower frequencies than the sharp variants, as you can see there is about 5db difference at 19-20kHz, so in theory it should sound less bright.

Topping E30 USB DAC Filter Response Audio Measurements.png
 
Not a technical one in this application. Audiophiles like to tinker with their gear and imagine things they hear, the filter choice is mainly there to support that and make product look more interesting.
 
The filters come from the chip manufacturer. You'll see that if you read the chip spec sheets from AKM, ESS, etc. It is up to the company implementing the DAC chip in their hardware design to decide whether to use the filters the chip manufacturer made available or give switchable filters to the end user. If no choices are given to the end user, then it probably means the hardware company chose the default option and left it at that.
 
Is there a reason why there has to be a choice, why there's no option to go sans filter?

I may have misread. A filter is an integral part of a properly implemented DAC that conforms to the Nyquist theorem and it ensures correct reconstruction of the analog signal. Without it you end up with high level of ultrasonic content on the output. Filter 5 on the E30 is basically no filter. Ideal filter will suppress all frequencies above 22.05khz for 44.1khz sampling.
 
Late to the party but, I just got my E30 today. 6 filters?!? It's like having 6 DACS in one... Lol!
So far, I find myself cycling through trying to find the best one. When I think I have, the next song (same album) comes on and wouldn't you know it, it sounds "off". :mad:
More listening, more cycling of filters, repeat.
 
Late to the party but, I just got my E30 today. 6 filters?!? It's like having 6 DACS in one... Lol!
So far, I find myself cycling through trying to find the best one. When I think I have, the next song (same album) comes on and wouldn't you know it, it sounds "off". :mad:
More listening, more cycling of filters, repeat.

I've tried a couple of DAC's that offer switching between filters. Speaking as someone who's obsessive about audio (as I am) I prefer not having the option. I am now using a iFi Zen Signature, and am very pleased with the overall sound qualities.
 
I spent several hours going through the filters on my E30. I would think I heard a difference, only to change my mind again. That happened over and over. I just don't have the golden ears to hear any difference. It's a cool feature, though.
 
I definitely hear a difference when switching from one to the next. Not sure if any two are the same, just know the next one always sounds different than the one I just left. For now I've decided to leave it on filter #3 (default) and get used to the new device. I do enjoy it's sound right now. Maybe later I can revisit the different filters and see if any suit my ears/tastes better. I like the choice, instead of the manufacturer choosing for me.
Enjoy the musics.
Ray
 
Okay, change of plans. I am finding a lack of depth with the topping e30 on filter #3. I switched to #6, as for me it seems to provide the best delineation of center image and better depth of soundstage.
Keep enjoying the musics.
Ray
 
Okay, last change... E30 out and Schiit Audio Modi 3 back in. I really wanted to like it but, the Topping has literally been hurting my ears for the last two days.
Enjoy the musics if you can!!
Ray
 
I've owned the Topping E30 for several weeks now. I wanted to share my experience with the E30 filters for anyone who may be considering this DAC.

The first thing I did was to experiment with several power supplies to see if it made a difference to performance. To some degree it did. The power supply that I ended up using was from my first Roku streamer that I had sitting in a box. 5 volts, 2.5 a.

My source is a NAD 516BEE CD player through digital coax. My other sources include an Ocean Digital WR-10 Internet radio (coax) and a Sony MDS-JE500 Mini Disc Recorder via the optical input.

I've listened through both headphones (AKG 712 and AKG Q701) and loudspeakers, and to my ears there is a logical order to the filters:

Filter 1: Brightest, for reference I'll call it cold.
Filter 2: Cold - middle
Filter 3: Center - Cold (default)
--------- Center -----------
Filter 4: Center - Warm
Filter 5: Warm - middle
Filter 6: Warmest

The default is Filter 3. A few reviewers have said they prefer Filter 4, which to my ears is on the warmer side of center.

For me, I use 2 filters. Listening to headphones, I prefer Filter 3. When listening with my loudspeakers, I prefer Filter 4.

I am really enjoying the E30 and I like the ability to select different filters.

With anything audio, YMMV.

Has anyone else had a similar listening experience with the E30 filters?

how do you like the what do you think of the Ocean Digital WR-10?
 
I like the Ocean Digital WR-10 a lot. I’ve also hooked it up to the Topping E30 and it really shines with that DAC.
 
Okay, last change... E30 out and Schiit Audio Modi 3 back in. I really wanted to like it but, the Topping has literally been hurting my ears for the last two days.
Enjoy the musics if you can!!
Ray
It took me a week or so to really like my E30. I've used it on several really nice systems, and it's always sounded great; nobody has commented that it hurt their ears. I'm not sure if it had to break it, but it def. took a few days. How long did you let yours break in?
 
Back
Top Bottom