• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Toshiba 2SB554/2SD424 equivalents

Mayank

Well-Known Member
I created a major fireworks display when my test probe slipped and shorted on a nearby component while trying to adjust the bias :tears:

Yes, I *now* have those nifty insulated mini-grabbers from the 'shack to make sure this doesn't happen again. One of the output transitors blew in the process. I know I need to replace all 4 (along with the other 4 on the positive rail).

Question: Can I replace these hard to find 2SB554/2SD424 Toshiba devices with Onsemi's 2N6609/2N3773? I have these available from a previous project. I am not comfortable comparing the graphs on the datasheets and was hoping that one of the Jedi Masters here can help.

Rgds
Mayank
 
Register to hide this ad
Question: Can I replace these hard to find 2SB554/2SD424 Toshiba devices with Onsemi's 2N6609/2N3773?
Too slow, and those 140V devices are really only good for something with up to about +/-60V rails. The 555 is something like +/-80V rails.

Use the On-Semi MJ21193 & 94 (or MJ21195 & 96).
 
There are subtle differences between the '93/94 and the '95/96. The '95/95 have a bit wider SOA, but the '93/94 have sustained gain into the higher current region that make them a bit more suitable for audio work.

As far as ordering out-of-production Japanese transistors from unknown sources, only if you're determined to learn a lesson (the hard way, I might add) that myself and others have already learned at great financial cost and much labor rebuilding damaged boards.
 
On-Semi was a spin-off from Motorola, when Moto divested the discrete semiconductor biz from the IC biz. Any Moto-labled transistor in the last 15 years is made by On-Semi, and AFAIK, any power bipolar device with a Moto label is a 1990's part*, as virtually all new devices carry the On-Semi logo instead.

I'm extremely gunshy of fake parts, and I'd not even buy a MJ15024/25 with a Moto label, given that they are also, essentially, out-of-production. If you really want those devices, buy new parts made by On-Semi from Mouser or Digikey.

*Edit: Or older.
 
Last edited:
I'm sorry. I didn't mean it to sound that way. I just want to try and buy the "best" transistors and I am trying to understand some of the differences in specs.

For instance, I get my parts from Mouser and Parts Connexion and the later has some Motorola MJ15024/25's that appear to be Motorola's version of the Onsemi.

Motorola was the original manufacturer of the MJ transistor series and was later spun off and became ONSemi. Their Phoenix Arizona plant was one and the same with ONSemi. ON had additional production plants in Mexico and now they there are 3 North American production facilities as well as international production and design plant, and ON has acquired a number of other semiconductor manufacturers over the past 13 years.

http://www.onsemi.com/site/pdf/ON-Semiconductor-Corporate-History.pdf
http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/globalLocations.do
 
Back
Top Bottom