• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Toshiba SA-420 Help!!

forsgren

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Okay, I have to admit that I don't like asking for help. But, I am far from perfect, I do not think I know everything, and I feel that I am humble enough to ask those far wiser than I. Which means all of you in AK Land.

So, I picked up the above mentioned unit, very nice, extremely well built receiver. I checked it out with DB Tester, looked good, fired it up, sounded good at first.

The right channel sounded like crap, hooked it to the scope and saw what I was hearing. Checked with headphones, sounded great in both channels. I unplugged the input from the pre-amp and jumped L to R and R to L, the right channel remained like crap. I know the problem is in the right channel on the main amplifier board PA-41B. I looked at the idle adjustment. The left side was at 9.2 mV (Spec is 10mB +/- 2mV), the right read 0? Huh? I thought perhaps dirty pot? I removed it and checked it, works perfectly. Put it back in and still read 0.

I pulled TR613 (2SD525) and TR615 (2SB595) and tested them, at first TR613 was reading as 2 diodes, I changed the leads on my Atlas DCA55 and it read fine. I thought I would swap the right and left pairs which I did. I did these one at a time, cleaned the old grease off the mica insulators and installed them. When I powered the unit up, both 5A fuses on the power supply board blew. I see nothing no reason why this happened, no solder bridges, nothing crossed? I checked the KBL02 bridge rectifier and it is good. Could it be the main cap (this uses a single cap with two caps inside)?

This does not make sense? All of the transistors checked good as I went about replacing them?
 
Register to hide this ad
...cleaned the old grease off the mica insulators and installed them. When I powered the unit up, both 5A fuses on the power supply board blew. I see nothing no reason why this happened, no solder bridges, nothing crossed?

This does not make sense? All of the transistors checked good as I went about replacing them?

What type of grease did you re-apply? CPU-type is not recommended.

--Joe
 
I once worked on an amp (KA-8100) that was not able to achieve proper bias because of faulty connections between the T-03 main output sockets and the PCB. Perhaps a bad solder joint (or two) somewhere could be the cause of the bias issue in your amp?
 
Last edited:
Thanks all! I am baffled! I mentioned that one of the NPN output devices was flaky when I tested it, this was on the right channel. I double checked all driver transistors and they all checked good. I replaced the 2SD525 and 2SB595 output transistors with MJE15028G and MJE15029G with silpads. Fired it up and it now sounds great! This is actually quite a nice lower powered unit!

Everybody take care and be safe!
 
I have been busy and travelling. I thought about this and decided to pull it out. Although it sounds great I wanted to check the idle current. I could never get the left channel set correctly. The service manual recommends 10mV +/-2mV. The highest I can get is a tad over 4mV. Previously I recapped the entire unit, replaed all 4 output transistors, replaced all 4 driver transistors TR601 - 604 with KSA1815. I replaced TR609 C1382 (it tested flaky) with a KSC2690. Still not adjusting properly. I pulled the 500 ohm VR601 and it tested fine, I replaced it as well, still nothing. The right channel has always been easy to set. I should point out that this has always been the case since I purchased this.

Any suggestions, I have tried to measure voltages on the right channel and then the left, so far, everything measures the same. Perhaps it is just the slight OCD I may have, it isn't right and should be able to be set properly at 10mV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
Avionic, thanks for the response. I did check both emitter resistors, they are spot on. I checked D601, it was good, I did replace it anyway with a n4148. I will check TR607 and get back later today.
 
I did check TR607, it tested fine, I did have a BC337 transistor which was close to the 2SC509. No change at all. Like I said, it does work and sound fine. However, the amplifier was designed to operate at 10mV idle current.
 
Back
Top Bottom