• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Toshiba Sonoplan SS-005

Okke 70s

Super Member
Had anyone ever listened to a pair of Toshiba Sonoplan SS-005 speakers?

They look awesome! I was hoping they would be actually good sounding (hybrid) electrostats. In the back there's little cone driver, but is that all? I'd love to hear more about these!


item_754158_cc910d675f.jpg item_754158_e4e9adee10.jpg

They come in various "motives" as well. Hey, how would it look to have a wall with a row of these :eek2:
 
Register to hide this ad
So, it's nothing more then a single full range speaker, blasting against the back wall? Hmm, in that case they are mostly decorative, I suppose.
 
Yes Sir!

Basically I would just like to know if they sound good, but I guess there's really only one way to find out.

..but I must restrain myself, been on a buying spree lately.
 
The smaller BES speakers were two way. I believe what we're seeing in that picture is the rear of the woofer magnet, not a cone. Here's a better picture that makes it a little clearer.

H3088-L65707234.jpg


Presumably the structure we see in there is the support for the magnet (and possibly gives the entire frame some strength). The voice coil is glued to the rear of the foam, which flexes when a signal is applied. The tweeter was typically a piezo; I'm not sure how it was attached. It's possible these are single driver. All the BES-branded models I've seen were open baffle, so this one's a bit different, especially when you consider that the opening would normally be flat against the wall.

In the late 70s/early 80s BES tried to break into the home audio market; they were mildly successful, but they never became particularly well known. I believe after that they went strictly after the background music market. At some point they changed their name to "Bertagni Electronic Sound Transducers International". As of a few years ago they were still in business, but they no longer appear to have any web presence.
 
Last edited:
Well that's what I thought Bob! And then I realized they would also be mighty practical. But only if they're actually useful as speakers of course.
 
Back
Top Bottom