• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Totem Rainmaiker, Dreamcatcher and Model 1 Signature

duckrabbit

Member
I've got the Dreamcatchers and a (secondhand) pair of Model 1 Signatures for home auditioning. The Model 1's seem to be early 2000 models with bi-wiring option. I would get them for 800 eur in very good shape.

The Model 1's are a bit more revealing, sound more open and spacious, but they are more 'monitor-like' and lack the smooth and very alluring warmer tone of the Dreamcatchers. Those who have heard the Dreamcatchers may know what I'm talking about. The Model 1's are fantastic speakers I could happily live with, but I'm really hooked on the alluring tone of the Dreamcatchers and don't mind the slightly lesser clarity compared to the Model 1's.

But the Dreamcatchers, due to their very small physical size lack bass. So my question is this: Do the Rainmakers have that alluring tone of the Dreamcatchers + a bit more bass and low end punch?

I should clarify that I don't need that much bass, the Ushers and Model 1s would have enough, so I 'm not considering a subwoofer.

Compared to my current Usher S-520 both of the Totems are better in almost every way. The Ushers are very good, they have more bass than both the Totems but it's a lot muddier, the treble is sharper and there is less air, imaging... really, almost everything is better with the Totems.

My amp is the Accuphase E-202.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I've had Rainmakers in the past, and I found them to be very open. However they play much bigger than their size. I almost didn't believe that I was listening to a bookshelf speaker.
 
People seem to like their Totems. I like how they clearly focus on their idea of good sound and less on brading or what's trendy. Very well buit too.

Anyone directly compared the Dreamcatcher and Rainmakers? Similar tone?
 
I have to take back a bit what I said about the Ushers, after connecting them again. Although they are less detailed and spacious sounding than the Model 1's, they are much warmer, more musical and pleasing especially with electronic music. With acoustic, notably jazz and chamber music, the Model 1's are slightly better, but only slightly. Overall, I probably like the and the Ushers and Model 1 equally. This means that I will probably return the Model 1's.

As I've understood, the Rainmakers are slightly less detailed but more musical than the Model 1's.

This thread becoming more of a personal diary than a discussion. o_O Anyone else out there?
 
Last edited:
I've got the Dreamcatchers and a (secondhand) pair of Model 1 Signatures for home auditioning. The Model 1's seem to be early 2000 models with bi-wiring option. I would get them for 800 eur in very good shape.

The Model 1's are a bit more revealing, sound more open and spacious, but they are more 'monitor-like' and lack the smooth and very alluring warmer tone of the Dreamcatchers. Those who have heard the Dreamcatchers may know what I'm talking about. The Model 1's are fantastic speakers I could happily live with, but I'm really hooked on the alluring tone of the Dreamcatchers and don't mind the slightly lesser clarity compared to the Model 1's.

But the Dreamcatchers, due to their very small physical size lack bass. So my question is this: Do the Rainmakers have that alluring tone of the Dreamcatchers + a bit more bass and low end punch?

I should clarify that I don't need that much bass, the Ushers and Model 1s would have enough, so I 'm not considering a subwoofer.

Compared to my current Usher S-520 both of the Totems are better in almost every way. The Ushers are very good, they have more bass than both the Totems but it's a lot muddier, the treble is sharper and there is less air, imaging... really, almost everything is better with the Totems.

My amp is the Accuphase E-202.
I love my Rainmakers, paired with a Goldenear sub & powered by Rogue Sphinx v2.
 
Back
Top Bottom