• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Trash to Treasure... share your freebie, ground score, dumpster dive treasures here...

The Lafayette and the tape deck were curb/recycle bin finds. The turntable $10 at a garage sale;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


XA20ES on the curb;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Boombox and computer speakers from Recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


All from recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Onkyo and JVC on the curb, speakers in the recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Curb;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Recycle bin;

JVC4.jpg


All from recycle bin;

LR-100.jpg


Curb;

music-room-1.jpg


Curb;

EQ.jpg


Oldest record I've ever owned in box dropped at my door by maintenance man;

Fonotipia-2.jpg


Recycle bin;

Sansui-cart.jpg


Lastly, found this cassette in the garbage. Unreleased music that I think is interesting;

 
The Lafayette and the tape deck were curb/recycle bin finds. The turntable $10 at a garage sale;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


XA20ES on the curb;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Boombox and computer speakers from Recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


All from recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Onkyo and JVC on the curb, speakers in the recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Curb;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Recycle bin;

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg


Recycle bin;

JVC4.jpg


All from recycle bin;

LR-100.jpg


Curb;

music-room-1.jpg


Curb;

EQ.jpg


Oldest record I've ever owned in box dropped at my door by maintenance man;

Fonotipia-2.jpg


Recycle bin;

Sansui-cart.jpg


Lastly, found this cassette in the garbage. Unreleased music that I think is interesting;

I dig the Sonny Sharrock album! I got to see him live many years ago...
 
I dig the Sonny Sharrock album! I got to see him live many years ago...
I was fortunate to see Last Exit in NYC in the 80's. Small venue [forget the name but legendary] and they way oversold tickets. It was like being in a sardine can. My girlfriend wasn't digging the music or being squashed so we left after the first set. But I did see Last Exit!
 
Gibson guitar amp on junk trash day. New 300 dollar Xmas tree thrown out when K Mart was closing down. Son pulled a Zenith Trans Oceanic out of a recycling dumpster. Perfect but for the missing leather side panel
 
Last edited:
I was fortunate to see Last Exit in NYC in the 80's. Small venue [forget the name but legendary] and they way oversold tickets. It was like being in a sardine can. My girlfriend wasn't digging the music or being squashed so we left after the first set. But I did see Last Exit!
I have that Last Exit LP, Iron Path. I'll have to pull it out again, but from what I remember, it was a bit too abrasive for my liking. The band I saw Sharrock with was much more accessible, maybe to a fault. If I remember correctly he had two drummers. The music was more like Santana or something. Decent, but lacking the edge that I was expecting. The one thing that I really love by him, that is certainly one of my favorite jazz records of the 90s, is his very last albu,m Ask the Ages. I understand it was meant to be a kind of tribute to John Coltrane and sounds like it. It has Elvin Jones and Pharaoh Sanders on it who played with Coltrane...
 
I have that Last Exit LP, Iron Path. I'll have to pull it out again, but from what I remember, it was a bit too abrasive for my liking. The band I saw Sharrock with was much more accessible, maybe to a fault. If I remember correctly he had two drummers. The music was more like Santana or something. Decent, but lacking the edge that I was expecting. The one thing that I really love by him, that is certainly one of my favorite jazz records of the 90s, is his very last albu,m Ask the Ages. I understand it was meant to be a kind of tribute to John Coltrane and sounds like it. It has Elvin Jones and Pharaoh Sanders on it who played with Coltrane...
Yup, Ask The Ages is a favorite of mine as well.
 
Some 30ish years ago my brother in law was working at a small alternative radio station in south western Ontario. During his tenure the station sold and the owners decided to change formats to religious programming and needed to dispose of their recordings. He managed to get me into the library for about 90 minutes just before Christmas in '92 or' 93. It had been picked over to be sure but I rifled through their collection like a drunk and stoned schoolboy jacked on expresso and chocolate cake. I pulled out about 250 CDs in those 90 minutes. Me tossing CDs on the table and my BiL putting them into boxes. An absolutely surreal and unforgettable experience.
 
I answered a Craigslist ad for a free, non working Hitachi HT-353 turntable. The nice young woman who was giving it away said the speed wasn’t constant, and she’d brought it to a tech who told her the motor needed to be replaced. Before I took it, because I’m a nice guy, I told her it was doubtful the motor was shot and it might be an easy fix. She gave it to me anyway. A few shots of DeOxit to the speed pots later, it worked perfectly and has been the TT in my second system to this day.
 
I bought my first set of Dynaco A25's from Goodwill in Phoenix AZ back in 2005 for $20. I installed new capacitors ($10) and grille cloth($20) and gave the rough exteriors a good cleaning then some Danish oil ($10) so for $60 I got a really nice sounding pair of speakers for my bedroom system
109_3234.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom