• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Trip to the Grumpmeisters

reyneman

Requiescat in pace
Took a small trip to see the grumpy one. Had wanted to make a loop and visit BrianB , but prior commitments prevented that. Oh well, maybe next time.

Real purpose of the visit was to convince Grumpy that CDs ARE worthy. With that in mind I brought a slew of them with me, along with a decent player. To make a long story short, I left MI with a bunch of new vinyl!

Had wanted to visit with several other AKers, but when they heard I was coming in that direction they suddenly had other places to be. Did catch Bauhausler- guess he wasn't quick enough to get away. Enough of the chit chat. This is AUDIO Karma, so lets get to the important crap- how were the tunes?

I have to admit that Grumpy's Ohms sounded pretty good, especially when you consider they were driven by subpar electronics (what was that stuff- Mc something? Must be some no name manufacturer no ones heard of). I think those speaks could really sing if hooked up to some quality gear like Aiwa. None the less, heard some great blues there, but my early pop CDs got his kids movin way better than his music! Of course, those CDs were transferred from the vinyl I have.

Sneaking up on Bauhausler, we almost got in until that dang dog alerted him to our presence. Grumpy sweet talked him into letting us in (you know how sweet Grumpy can be!), and upon entering I heard some really good sounds. I was looking around trying to find the source of that sweet music when Bau pointed to a stack of what I thought were left over cabinets with miscellaneous electronics parts laying on top. What? THAT'S the source of this sweet music? The WAF wasn't there, but man the sounds were! I loved his quick tour of the gear he had/is/was making, would have liked to spend some time listening to his system and getting the skinny on more of his gear. This was a tweakers paradise- and I'm talking equipment tweaks, not Mpingo type tweaks. Great room he had for all audio nuts! By the way Bauhausler- I believe I forgot that tonearm box?

Of course any trip to Grumpy's wouldn't be complete without a visit to the BBQ and Blues restaurant, followed by a trip to the vinyl emporium.

Believe my next trip will be to Maine, where I will attempt to convert Thor from MP3s to vinyl. Now THAT would take some doing!;)
 
Register to hide this ad
Originally posted by reyneman


I will attempt to convert Thor from MP3s to vinyl. Now THAT would take some doing!;)

It would be easier to pull the front teeth from an angry cougar!!!.....;)
 
(what was that stuff- Mc something? Must be some no name manufacturer no ones heard of). :mad:

Nice small trip reyneman. ;) Bring cd's leave with vinyl, a trip to
grumpyland for sure.

Carl
 
Didn't know you were in town

Great to hear. I didn't get the chance to hear his Ohms at the time. I believe they took a sick day.

Bauhausler has quite the assortment, doesn't he. Talk about irresponsibly avid, ...yeesh!

Glad to hear you had a good time.
 
Originally posted by reyneman
Real purpose of the visit was to convince Grumpy that CDs ARE worthy. With that in mind I brought a slew of them with me, along with a decent player. To make a long story short, I left MI with a bunch of new vinyl!

I'm curious - what player did you take?

This was a tweakers paradise- and I'm talking equipment tweaks, not Mpingo type tweaks.

Them's fightin' words, Ray! :mad: Guess I'm gonna hafta send you some Mpingo thingies to convince you that African ebony is the Lord of Tonality. YOU SHALL BE SAVED!

Can I get a witness?
 
It was my pleasure having you over Ray.

Maybe next time I can fire my Ohms up with some real power such as Yorx. Thats a pleasure I reserve for only my closest of pals :p:

I did get to hear a couple of CeeDees that I asked for copies of. Not that they wouldn't have sounded better on vinyl but I doubt I could ever find em.

Be sure to take a camcorder with to document your trip to Maine. I just gotta see you teaching Thor to handle the Stylus after having a 12 pack or half dozen shots :eek:

Grumpy
 
Opt80- of course. I'm a professional, always presenting my best side. Of course, most consider that my backside as I leave;)

BrianB- I took up an Ah! Tjoeb. The major problem with this deck is the older Marantz mechanicals sometimes have problems reading CD-Rs, and really have problems when selecting tracks on CD-Rs. That's why I normally use it only at home, I don't like to carry my original disks around. Sorry about the Mpingo reference, have never tried them so I shouldn't have used them as an example.

Grumpy- good thing you didn't break out the Yorx, I may have tried to sneak it out of there:) .

Failed to mention the trip to the local audio emporium. Heard some really fine sounds out of some Maggies, may pick up the factory direct cheap ones to play around with in the basement. No way those bulky things would get into my main living areas, wife would have a heart attack.
 
I was blasting the MP3's last night ;) At least until 3am when 3 officers banged on my door and told me to turn it off or someone was going to jail :eek: ???? I even had all the doors and windows shut, first time in 3 years the cops have come to my house cuz of the music (or anything else ;) ), guess I was a little too hard on the drunken volume knob :( Cops did ask me how many thousands of dollars all my "equipment" cost, they seemed quite impressed, I told them it was all more a result of good planning than money ;)
 
Originally posted by THOR
I was blasting the MP3's last night ;) At least until 3am when 3 officers banged on my door and told me to turn it off or someone was going to jail :eek: ???? I even had all the doors and windows shut, first time in 3 years the cops have come to my house cuz of the music (or anything else ;) ), guess I was a little too hard on the drunken volume knob :( Cops did ask me how many thousands of dollars all my "equipment" cost, they seemed quite impressed, I told them it was all more a result of good planning than money ;)

How did they get your attention? Smoke grenades? :D

:twak:
 
Great to have you visit! It was a pleasure to chat about gear and music. The pile of loose hardware you heard producing music is pictured below just as it has been for several weeks. Its twin is about 10' away. In the walnut cab is an Altec 755E driver (Thanks, Grumpy). The funny thing on top is a Pioneer HPM-150 (Thanks, Stewey) supertweeter and crossover. The WE film cap and PIO can cap provide extra rolloff for the supertweeter. Below is a Cambridge powered sub (Thanks, LVB). Seen in the background is your tonearm box, which we did forget. This is run from an Accuphase P-300 power amp and an SAE amp. I really really like the sound of this rig. I think I'll eventually transplant the 755Es into different boxes and build dedicated subwoofers in similar looking cabinets. The supertweeters will have to mounted to something. I'll have to figure out a crossover to drive the supertweeters without using the whole Pioneer 4-way xovr, but the driver transformer for the supertweet is tough to duplicate. I'll get something going sooner or later in that direction.
 
They snuck around back to the porch, I think they were trying to catch someone smoking the reefer ;)
 
Originally posted by reyneman
Sorry about the Mpingo reference, have never tried them so I shouldn't have used them as an example.

Not to worry, Ray - no offense taken! It's just that I cannot resist diving into the fray whenever Shun Mook gets mentioned... :D
 
Originally posted by THOR
They snuck around back to the porch, I think they were trying to catch someone smoking the reefer ;)

Thor,
They probably wanted your equipment,I didn't know Jud Strunk had that much volume that cops would be summoned.

Alan
 
Back
Top Bottom