• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Trouble with a DIY EL34 Tube Amp Kit

Hey KGMMan! The hole in the of the chassis is only wide enough to accommodate one side of the transformer.

You can see the photos of the fit here..

http://thediyexperiment.blogspot.com/2010/11/getting-started.html

The side with the wires would not fit through that hole? If the 'fat' side with the bell cover will fit through, I'm surprised that the end with no cover and the wires will not clear...but who knows, with these 'kits'. They are a long,long way from Heathkits of the olden times....

Sometimes it takes a bit of maneuvering and even widening the opening a small (1/8 inch) amount to get the wires to pass through.....
(You would probably have to undo the 4 bolts and reverse direction of the bolts.....)
 
got mine working

I too brought this diy kit from ebay and just finished it this week, wow the schematics that comes with this kit is some what confusing and took a little time to work it out but have said that when completed sounds pretty good for a cheap kit, just watch out for the earthing that will done incorrect will kill the sound and also get your speaker connection right from the output transformer. my wiring is a little messy but who going to see that lol. hope others who brought this kit has the same luck as I did and thanks to others on here that posted good ideas and pics helped me. O I ended up with no parts left over so that was a bonus but if I went with the schematics that came with the kit I would have had parts over!!
 

Attachments

  • 100_4722.jpg
    100_4722.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_4723.jpg
    100_4723.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 73
  • rsz_100_4740.jpg
    rsz_100_4740.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
The 220K is a bleeder resistor, intended to discharge the filter caps after powering down. It should be in the circuit. I can't see a second 5K either, beyond the one in the PS. Could it be for the other channel, which perhaps has not been built yet?
 
Note: in mdamp's photo, the transformer is wiring-side down, as it should be. Maybe this needs corrected in yours?
 
Hey ellelle I noticed on your pic you have Green Yellow Black colour code on your OP transformer wired the reverse to what is on my Transformer?? Green is Com Yellow is 4ohm and black is 8ohm as stated on the transformer, it is SC-001 but have seen on other posts the same OP transformer wired the same way as yours? so what one is right? on my transformer it is clearly marked G/com Y/4ohm B/8ohm, tryed a google search on transformer but with no luck. interesting One thing I found was the speakers terminals were touching the metal after screwing them in place which made the right channel earth out and sound crap. fixed that and if you believe these amps will give you 13w*2 think again more like 5w per side
 
Last edited:
Well on further firing this piece of crap up had troubles so email seller and they sent me another set of schematics very different to the first set, rebuilt the Amp again followed the new schematics switched it on and 10 sec later smoke poured out seems it blow 3 main caps so I say the transformers valves are stuffed as well. My advice STAY AWAY FROM CHINESE made amps like this one. $330AUD mistake
 
Back
Top Bottom