Hello, All!
A newbie here.
Fulfilling my teenage dream from 30+ years ago, I just acquired a Sony set pictured below (TC-W431, TA-AV431, ST-JX431 + CDP-C231). Paired with Sony SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers, it sounds pretty fantastic for equipment of this age. However, I am having some trouble with the CD player, and I am hoping to get some advice on that. (I've searched through the forums, but was unable to find anything about these particular issues. I also hope that this is the right sub-forum to post such a question.)
Here is the problem... After turning on the system and switching to "CD" on the amp, when I press the "Open/Close" button, the tray pulls out as it should. However, after placing disc(s) in the slots, when I press the button again, in hopes of closing the tray, it just keeps turning--by two CD slots--left, and when pressed again, back to the right. Left, right, left, right, and so on. The "Open/Close" button now seems to work more like the "Skip Disc" button, but it always skips by two, and always goes back and forth.
After playing with the system for a bit, I figured out that if I switch to "TUNER" on the amplifier, the tray will close by itself, and then if I switch back to "CD," the disc will play just fine. If that matters, the "TUNER" button is the only option that makes the display on the CD player go blank. If I switch to anything else ("VIDEO," "TAPE," "PHONO"), the display stays lit, and the tray won't close.
Another issue with the CD player is that when I set it to play all discs, once it's done with the first one, it will switch to the second slot, recognize that there is a disc in there (the number for the disc remains lit), but then it will not play it. Even if I press "Play," it just won't start. The only way to get that disc going is to again go through the "TUNER" and back to "CD" routine.
Unfortunately, the system did not come with a manual, but I doubt that this is normal behavior.
Any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Tom
A newbie here.
Here is the problem... After turning on the system and switching to "CD" on the amp, when I press the "Open/Close" button, the tray pulls out as it should. However, after placing disc(s) in the slots, when I press the button again, in hopes of closing the tray, it just keeps turning--by two CD slots--left, and when pressed again, back to the right. Left, right, left, right, and so on. The "Open/Close" button now seems to work more like the "Skip Disc" button, but it always skips by two, and always goes back and forth.
After playing with the system for a bit, I figured out that if I switch to "TUNER" on the amplifier, the tray will close by itself, and then if I switch back to "CD," the disc will play just fine. If that matters, the "TUNER" button is the only option that makes the display on the CD player go blank. If I switch to anything else ("VIDEO," "TAPE," "PHONO"), the display stays lit, and the tray won't close.
Another issue with the CD player is that when I set it to play all discs, once it's done with the first one, it will switch to the second slot, recognize that there is a disc in there (the number for the disc remains lit), but then it will not play it. Even if I press "Play," it just won't start. The only way to get that disc going is to again go through the "TUNER" and back to "CD" routine.
Unfortunately, the system did not come with a manual, but I doubt that this is normal behavior.
Any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Tom