• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Trying to find some rubber motor mounts

Sam Cogley

Last of the Time Lords
Subscriber
Used by Gray and Fairchild with the Papst motor. Strange looking little things, like a sphere with a washer on each side. I've tried every internet search I can think of, without result. Are these still manufactured anywhere?

gr2.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Might want to look in the McMaster Carr catalog. They have all sorts of industrial stuff. Some of the industrial companies are a real pain to buy from unless you have an account.

BillWojo
 
Worse comes to worse, get some rubber corks from the local hardware and have at them with a grinding wheel and dremel tool ...
 
A Japanese hi-fi company made some replacements for a Fairchild 412 that was being restored in their shop. I asked AKer Suzuki to contact them and find out how much a set would cost. The number was somewhere between "eye watering" and "brain melting."

Looks similar...but I don't know if same/similar enough. http://www.hutchinsonai.com/products/product.cfm?cid=7&fid=36

Oh. Wow. I figured that someone still had to make these things. I'll check the measurements! Thanks!

Might want to look in the McMaster Carr catalog. They have all sorts of industrial stuff. Some of the industrial companies are a real pain to buy from unless you have an account.

BillWojo

I've looked there, but I'll try again.
 
Looks similar...but I don't know if same/similar enough. http://www.hutchinsonai.com/products/product.cfm?cid=7&fid=36

Or maybe something else would work? I know they have double stud iso mounts at the hardware store in those small parts assortment boxes.

I've found a place that sells these directly without going through RFQs and all of that. The elastomer version is a bit under $5 per mount, the silicone (which supposedly have 2x the damping effect) are a bit over $6 per mount. Thanks again! In a few hours, it looks you've managed to solve one of the worst bugaboos plaguing the Fairchild 412 as a high-performance turntable!

http://www.bdproduct.ca/products/shock-vibration-mounts/all-elastomer/ball-mount-series/

I also found a shop that has them at a slightly lower price, but doesn't have the detailed breakdown by weight capacity:
http://www.photoshipone.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=212
http://www.photoshipone.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_36&products_id=191

I forgot one credit: AKer Seti posted that Gray advertisement on his blog, itishifi.com, which put me back on the hunt for those mounts.
 
Last edited:
Took some measurements. The 275 series elastomer mounts are exactly the same size as the original parts used by Fairchild. The silicone 7110 series is close enough that they should fit, too, and provide greater damping.

The Papst motor and its brackets weigh just over 1.5lbs, so the 275-4N (0.8-1.6 lbs axial static load range) or the 275-5N (1.3-2.6 lbs axial static load range) would probably be the best choices in neoprene, and the 7110-2.0 (1-2 lbs axial static load range) would be the appropriate silicone part.
 
Last edited:
Sent Black Diamond an email asking if they'd send a sample of the 275-4N, 275-5N, and 7110-2.0 for evaluation. The unit price drops by about 2/3 if order quantities are over 100, so this might be a good point for a group buy.
 
I am in for a set or two of what ever you settle on as appropriate. Let me know what I need to do or provide to move forward. Thanks for all your time and passion around this table. It's a treat to use and having new isolation will take it to a new level.
 
My gut feeling is that the silicone 7110-2.0 is going to be the best option, considering the Black Diamond pages list the following specs: "Transmissibility at resonance: 10 (neoprene)/ 4.0 (silicone)." The silicone parts are a tiny bit smaller, so I need to make sure that they'll fit properly in this application without excess movement.

The silicone mounts are $6.47 each if ordered in 0-100 quantities, but only $2.62 each in quantities of 100-2500. The neoprene mounts are $4.57 each in 0-100 quantities, but only $1.46 in quantities of 100-2500. It's the same price to order 41 or 100 silicone mounts, or 32 or 100 neoprene. I like companies that are actually willing to sell in small quantities to individuals and small shops (and I only found one that carries these under non-RFQ conditions), but that discount factor for bulk orders is crazy.
 
Last edited:
Used by Gray and Fairchild with the Papst motor. Strange looking little things, like a sphere with a washer on each side. I've tried every internet search I can think of, without result. Are these still manufactured anywhere?

gr2.jpeg
I have at least 2 of those mounts and you are welcome to them. I will look and see if i can find the other 2...
 
Got some samples in today. One of the silicone versions (7110-1.0) that are supposed to have about 60% greater damping than the neoprene versions fits perfectly and is almost exactly as compressible as a good original.
 

Attachments

  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 45
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 37
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 40
I might look for rubber grommets with a similar I.D. Stacking them, if necessary, to get the proper height.

1) won't work, due to the way the motor mounts hold the brackets in place.
2) since whoareu99 pointed me to the original manufacturer, there's no point in kludging something up any more.
3) they're still available in neoprene, but the silicone mount pictured (the blue one, the black with orange paint stripe is a 58 year old original) is rated for nearly 60% greater vibration damping


The only real question left is this: the motor and brackets weigh around 1.6lbs. The Fairchild 412 and the Gray each use four isolation mounts, one at each corner of the motor, dividing the load up into four equal parts (at least for the Fairchild, the Gray mounting arrangement is a bit different). The original isolation mounts appear to be the orange code, rated for an axial load of 0.4-0.7 lbs. per mount. Two of the three available silicone versions have load ratings that overlap that original specification: 0.3-0.5 lbs. (red) and 0.5-1.0 lbs. (blue). I have a blue in hand, and it is very similar to but slightly stiffer than the original mount I have inserted into the same bracket. How much that cracked original has changed over the years, I do not know. I don't have a red for comparison, but it seems like it should be slightly more compressible than the stock part, while the blue is slightly less. Decisions, decisions...
 
Sam,

Thanks for chasing this down. I have a Gray that needs a set and a Scott 710 that uses them in its drive train. I kludged a couple of solutions for both tables, but I'd rather have the real thing.
 
Sam,

Thanks for chasing this down. I have a Gray that needs a set and a Scott 710 that uses them in its drive train. I kludged a couple of solutions for both tables, but I'd rather have the real thing.

Could you get some pictures of how the Gray and the Scott mount the motors?

Also, were there any colored markings on the original mounts from either table?
 
Back
Top Bottom