• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Trying to mount Sony SSB1000 speakers from ceiling, need help

marktsc

New Member
I am brand new to A/V stuff and this site...it's awesome though. Trying to setup my first 5.1 system in basement man cave. Over the years, I've collected some used and hand-me-down pieces, nothing high-end but usable I think. Here's what I have so far, all of which in VG condition except mains need refoam surrounds:

2 receivers: Yamaha RX-v595 and Sony STR-DE595
2 L/R mains: Infinity Reference Five speakers from early 90s, need refoam surrounds
1 center: Infinity Video 1
1 sub: Infinity RS12
2 Sony SSb1000 bookshelf speakers, hoping to use as rear surrounds

I know this is basic, intro-grade stuff mostly compared to what you guys might have but I think each piece sounds good to me.

Here's the issue: I have an open floor layout in basement. Want to do rear surrounds without speakers stands or wall mounts (would only work for one side anyway). so I was thinking hanging from ceiling. Originally thought about in-ceiling ones but these little Sony speakers sound good to me and want to save cash. So the problem is this: Can I hang these from the ceiling? I've looked at some cheaper mounts and they seem to screw into backs of speakers or use keyhole opening on speaker backs. These sonys have neither. They're 7 pounds each.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-4-Inch-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000OG88KY

Any ideas for hanging these relatively clean from ceiling?

Thanks for any help/advice!

Mark
 
Register to hide this ad
Sure you can hang them from a ceiling. Parts Express may well have some devices that could work for for this. You could go to the hardware store and buy simple loop chain, screws and sheet rook hooks to help you along as well.

( https://parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=Speaker brackets&sitesearch=true )

If I were hanging them I would tape two strings in place, one going from the "ear" area on the couch/chair I would be listening from, back to the two points the speakers would be placed. Then as you adjust the bracket or chains you would have a referance "string" to align to!

God luck
DC
 
Last edited:
Thanks. Can't open that link for some reason. Do you mean attach a U of chain to each speaker? then hang from ceiling? Is it OK to put small wood screws maybe in back of each cab?

I was thinking maybe these but screw through mounting plate directly into back of speaker cab. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VRWAVI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

this is the speaker.
speakers-finished.jpg
 
Last edited:
T
I was thinking maybe these but screw through mounting plate directly into back of speaker cab. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VRWAVI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

this is the speaker.
speakers-finished.jpg

Assuming the brackets are big enough, they should work fine. You want to glue a block (4" x 4"?) of plywood on the back of the speakers to make sure you have something solid to drive the screws into. Not that I think a 7 lb speaker is a big deal but that material on the back of the cab should be pretty thin and might strip easily.

Good luck!
 
Just keep in mind that placing a speaker too close to two adjacent surfaces (wall and ceiling) can cause phase cancellations or boominess of bass frequencies.
Of course if you know someone really tall who's willing to walk around with a speaker on their head while you listen for the best location, it would make placement a bit easier :D
 
Thanks. Can't open that link for some reason. Do you mean attach a U of chain to each speaker? then hang from ceiling? Is it OK to put small wood screws maybe in back of each cab?

I was thinking maybe these but screw through mounting plate directly into back of speaker cab. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VRWAVI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

this is the speaker.
speakers-finished.jpg
Those brackets will probably not support the weight of those speaker (I have a bunch of them - not sure what the capacity is, but it's a lot lower than what they're rated at). They're good for plastic speakers that come with all-in-one systems, but that's about it. I'd recommend these instead.
 
Off the wall - off the ceiling ideas;

Someone - maybe even this site - posted pics of macrame hangers...

And - check the garden center aisles of Lowes, HomeDepot for the various plant hanger brackets - as you may be able to Macgyver something up with those...
 
If you do find suitable ceiling mounts and you don't want to put a block of wood behind them, you can drill the proper sized holes in the back of the speaker and install some t-nuts. That would be better than putting wood screws directly into the cabinet.
 
Back
Top Bottom