• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

trying to set up a pioneer rondo 2000..

mjr102

New Member
i had a pl-115d that i was fed up with motor and various other problems and i found this "Rondo 2000" from the same era. It looks very similar with almost identical tonearm and counterweight but has no anti skate adjustment (at all?) and was obviously a bit of a cheaper model. I think some rondo were part of integrated system but this shows no evidence of that-standard rca and power. It came with the headshell and yellow cartridge pictured but broken stylus.

When i moved my pioneer headshell and AT11E over to it (paler green) i noticed there was no sound from left and that one of the tiny magnets is missing. I got a new stylus from ebay from china (slightly darker green)- it looks the same but is lighter. Sound is pretty good and clear but it skips/tracks poorly more often. It was only $25 shipped so I'm not too worried about it but I dont want to spend on a better one if this cartridge is not the direction I should be going given how close the green ones seem to be sitting to the record. Is it not compatible? I also have a Grado fte+ that needs a stylus but again I dont want spend on it if for some reason I am better to use the cartridge with the yellow. I have balanced the tone arm to around 2 with each that I've tried.

ps Yes I removed the wires from the yellow one that is not why it wasn't working :) I think missing diamond maybe
 

Attachments

  • 20260921_223348.jpg
    20260921_223348.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20260921_223213.jpg
    20260921_223213.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20260921_223116.jpg
    20260921_223116.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 16
Register to hide this ad
No opion from my side, which catrtridge you'd be better off with, but the one with the yellow needle would appear to be an AT70 family model, in case the needle would be an original, it would be an ATN71. In the US JukeboxRecords(.org) would appear to still offer the 206-DET (Pfanstiehl-repacked original ATN71E) and the 206-DEM (Pfanstiehl repacked original ATN72E), both new old stock, for not quite US$ 33 or respectively not quite US$ 38. Both of these sport comparatively blunt (= 0.4 x 0.7 mil) elliptical tips, with the main difference being that the ATN72E is intended for a lighter tracking force of ca. 1.5 rather than ca. 2 g, so that it should last a bit longer and track a bit better than the ATN71E.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: From a technical point of view that AT70 family body with an original ATN71E or respectively ATN72E would be pretty much on the same quality level as your AT10 to AT12 family body with an original ATS11E or respectively ATS12.
 
No opion from my side, which catrtridge you'd be better off with, but the one with the yellow needle would appear to be an AT70 family model, in case the needle would be an original, it would be an ATN71. In the US JukeboxRecords(.org) would appear to still offer the 206-DET (Pfanstiehl-repacked original ATN71E) and the 206-DEM (Pfanstiehl repacked original ATN72E), both new old stock, for not quite US$ 33 or respectively not quite US$ 38. Both of these sport comparatively blunt (= 0.4 x 0.7 mil) elliptical tips, with the main difference being that the ATN72E is intended for a lighter tracking force of ca. 1.5 rather than ca. 2 g, so that it should last a bit longer and track a bit better than the ATN71E.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: From a technical point of view that AT70 family body with an original ATN71E or respectively ATN72E would be pretty much on the same quality level as your AT10 to AT12 family body with an original ATS11E or respectively ATS12.
Great information thank you! I was looking at a 200-DEC, around $70CDN, which seems to be going rate for those (or similar replacements that are elliptical) for AT11. I had assumed the AT70 (if thats what it is that has the yellow) was inferior but maybe not. I will see if the Pfanstiehl you mentioned are available.
I have found other peoples reports about cheap replacments like I got having poor collapsing suspension.

edit: myneedlestore(.ca) is best option for me it seems (price/import-hassle wise) and they have atn71e for $60, and curiously many options from interesting old brands $30-50 (but no Pfantstiehl). the ats11e and ats12 are $80. (all plus about $10 shipping). I know none of this is much $ but it will be a while before I can order anything. Still tempted by the Grado prestige3 green at about $120 but that will really take some time. greetings from Canada!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom