• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tube amp cooling noises. Should I worry?

dyche01

"Buy high. Sell low"
Subscriber
I have had a Fisher 500B receiver for a while and recently acquired a Scott 399. I never noticed the Fisher making any noises after turn-off but, whenever I run the Scott for a couple of hours and then turn it off, it makes sporadic 'tick' noises for several minutes as it cools down. It sounds like an old car cooling down.

I can't tell whether the noise comes from the chassis or the tubes. Should I be concerned?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Pretty sure that's just the tubes cooling down (the metal is going to expand when it gets hot and contract as it cools). Happens in pretty much all of my amps, too... I don't think it's anything to be particularly concerned about.
 
It just makes me a little nervous to hear something made of glass make a ticking noise when it expands and contracts.
 
Pretty sure that's just the tubes cooling down (the metal is going to expand when it gets hot and contract as it cools). Happens in pretty much all of my amps, too... I don't think it's anything to be particularly concerned about.
+1
 
It just makes me a little nervous to hear something made of glass make a ticking noise when it expands and contracts.

It's not the glass. It's all happening very gradually, so glass breaking due to thermal shock is not going to be a problem.
 
you need to have oxygen free air circulating around the amp to allow for
the necessary air molicules to gradualy let the air cool properly.
It is usually sold locally at your nearest air dealer.

And don't buy the cheap stuff; cryo'd only!

Thanks for the tips. I just bought some audiophile-grade xenon from a local dealer. He said nitrogen was okay if you don't care so much about the sound quality.
 
Back
Top Bottom