• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tube Amp for Focal Arias

Nolan Norris

New Member
Hello audiokarma members,

First I'd like to say I've been a lurker on here for a while but I've never found the answers to some of my questions ive had about my journey into audiphilism.

*if I'm in the wrong area or whatever please move me, this is my first post so my bad*

Alright so, I own a pair of Focal Aria 905s. Currently, I'm using an onkyo tx nr 803 (maybe 804) as my amplifier and dac. Audio is feed through my HTC One m9 usually with files being 320kbps or higher (most of my songs are in FLAC). After listening to them for a while, I've decided that I do enjoy the focal house sound but I want more and I'm thinking a tube amp would be the way to go. So if anyone has any suggestions as to where I should proceed from here to get even better sound quality and fullness from the focals, ID gladly appreciate it.

Thanks guys
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd say minimum is about 35 watts/channel for those speakers. You can do that with a tube amp, but it will need to be a push pull type with either 6L6-GC or EL34 output tubes. You can also go 6550/KT88 type output tubes, and that will give you more power, but also more cost.
 
If you can find a Dynaco st 70 at a close to your price. I have heard Eico and Heath kit,fully restored HF22, HF87, Heath kit W 5,6,7, with Focals like yours. All sound great.
 
I agree with kward and drtool but you will very likely need to increase you budget a smidgen...

I own a few different pairs of Focal speakers (Daline 6.1 and an older chorus) and have ran them with a Dynaco ST-70, a Jolida 302a, and an Eico HF-87 with my favorite most often being the Eico. I would say that they all perform quite well but the Eico has been rebuilt with premium parts when compared to the others. I also run a set of older focal two ways (C500 kit) on a Dynaco SCA-35 (with Dave G's boards) and they paired quite well.

Where are you located? If you are in the MD area you are most welcome to drop by, if not, maybe someone local can help you out with a demo. Nothing beats listening to a particular setup to gauge whether it is worth pursuing or not.

KC
 
Look for a used Onix SP3. A few years ago you could pick up a used one in mint condition for $500. They were and still are highly regarded. 38 strong wpc. Check out the review 6Moons did on it.
 
Extend your budget a little more for a new Raphaelite DP84

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/raphaelite-dp84-el84-push-pull.711346/

I made maybe overkill mods on it, he is fine right out of the box, just made sure the red AC input wire is connected on the right transformer primary, 120V for North America.

I like the smooth top end, of 12AX7 and EL84 push pull, Focal have good reputation but i think (never listened to personally) the tweeters are a little on the bright and analytic side, (with some associations), the combinaison must be great.
 
My recommend is a bit off the beaten path since I prefer my phone and music to be totally separate. I would get a dedicated HiRez music player and a class D amp. A Dayton DTA3116HP alongside a Fiio X3 would sound great with the 89 spl Focals. If you want an amp with more cache you could get a fleawatt. Looks like he has a couple available now on his website.

If you want to add an inexpensive tube pre-amp in front of the amp you could also do that.
 
My recommend is a bit off the beaten path since I prefer my phone and music to be totally separate. I would get a dedicated HiRez music player and a class D amp. A Dayton DTA3116HP alongside a Fiio X3 would sound great with the 89 spl Focals. If you want an amp with more cache you could get a fleawatt. Looks like he has a couple available now on his website.

If you want to add an inexpensive tube pre-amp in front of the amp you could also do that.

I love class D but wonder if 15 wpc is nearly enough power?
 
Yeah, the 15wpc would be pushing it, but the sound at low levels would be so sweet with a 3116. A more well rounded recommendation might be a Dayton DTA-120 at 40wpc @8ohm
 
If you prefer to go big power, check for a Behringer iNUKE NU1000 NU3000 NU6000
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom