• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tube amp sounds very bright; what's up with that?

That's a start. May loose a bit of volume. I'm going to do the same. # min later. It was already switched to the 4ohm configuration. Back to 8.
 
Last edited:
The specs for that DIY board showing freq response seems to show (if I read it right) greater dB variation at the relevant points than the tests of the oem ST 70 in the Gillispie paper. Again, I am not saying that folks might not prefer the changed sound, only that the frequency response of the original is more accurate per those particular tests.
 
Why did that seem to help?

I don't know why... I only know that it did. improvements in the sound of both low & high ends.
Perhaps changing the way the power supply & transformers looked at the load they were driving is what did it.:dunno:
 
It's not the speakers. The only thing that's changed in my setup is the amp.

I don't have a pentode/triode switch. I don't have access to an impedance curve.

I now have the speakers connected to the 4 ohm taps and it really HAS made a difference. I will await the arrival of my "new" tubes and see if that helps as well.
 
I now have the speakers connected to the 4 ohm taps and it really HAS made a difference. I will await the arrival of my "new" tubes and see if that helps as well.

:thmbsp: I haven't run my ST-70 in a while, but your post made me recall a few years ago, when I was thinking that mine was sounding a bit thin & unsatisfying that another AKer made that suggestion & I was surprised at what a difference it actually made.

My favorite kind of tweak: takes 2 seconds & costs literally nothing.:yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom