• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tube amps at night

RamblinE

(╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻
I had a tube amp previously, a few years ago. I built it in 2010. It was an S5 Electronics K12G kit. It eventually failed due to, uh, quality control ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. However I just picked up a Musical Paradise MP-301 and I love it. One of the first things I wanted to do after listening to it for a while was to take a picture of it at night. I'm no photographer so last night my girlfriend helped me out with that and with her Nikon D90.

DSC_0335.jpg

Let's see some more tube amps at night!

I tried to thoroughly search for a previous thread and I didn't see one here on AK. If I'm mistaken then could a mod please combine this with an existing thread? Thanks! Post your glowing tubes!
 
Register to hide this ad
I had a tube amp previously, a few years ago. I built it in 2010. It was an S5 Electronics K12G kit. It eventually failed due to, uh, quality control ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. However I just picked up a Musical Paradise MP-301 and I love it. One of the first things I wanted to do after listening to it for a while was to take a picture of it at night. I'm no photographer so last night my girlfriend helped me out with that and with her Nikon D90.

View attachment 912721

Let's see some more tube amps at night!

I tried to thoroughly search for a previous thread and I didn't see one here on AK. If I'm mistaken then could a mod please combine this with an existing thread? Thanks! Post your glowing tubes!

nice blue glow!! It looks like your tubes are running a bit hot. The plates are starting to glow a bit red.
 
nice blue glow!! It looks like your tubes are running a bit hot. The plates are starting to glow a bit red.
That was after a thirty seconds exposure. It looks nothing like that in person. I could probably cut the time down to ten or fifteen and capture what it looks like to the naked eye. After my K12G and the oddball tubes in that amp the KT88s in this application are quite faint.
 
Cary V12-R, all sixteen tubes a glowin'. My little fireplace heater for the winter.

index.php
 
Last edited:
And the winner is? KNOCKBILL...... Who wouldn't love those pics? And Ramblin E. if your girlfriend likes tubes, she's a keeper....

Winner already decided? What is up with that? This wasn't even a competition!! Wouldn't a Like be good enough?
 
Have to admit, the 811's literally out-shine any of mine. Onemug's Cary also does, and I have to say I like the near-white glow of those filaments.

Maybe once the sun finally gives up and hides I'll drag out the Bogen amps for a photo op. The KT-120's are about the brightest I have. In the meantime, here's a Magnavox 9300 with a misbehaving Sovtek EL84M. Note the lovely glow on the screen grid.

20170130 misbehaving sovtek 2.jpg

Here's the business end of a Sherwood S-5500-II

100_0442.JPG
 
Last edited:
Have to admit, the 811's literally out-shine any of mine. Onemug's Cary also does, and I have to say I like the near-white glow of those filaments.

Maybe once the sun finally gives up and hides I'll drag out the Bogen amps for a photo op. The KT-120's are about the brightest I have. In the meantime, here's a Magnavox 9300 with a misbehaving Sovtek EL84M. Note the lovely glow on the screen grid.

You had sun today? I've been waiting for the timered lamp to come on and it seems very late with as dark as it is, cloud cover and all.
 
Too bad we are beginning summer here, you are making me want to get out my Maggie console pull and play.
 
Back
Top Bottom