• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

tube console vs "astro-sonic" solid state Magnavox

Jayrosc

Super Member
Hey tube people....Since you are the closest to console people that I can imagine, can anyone tell me if the solid state magnavox consoles from the early 60's are as good as the tube ones? I've seen raves about the tubes on here, but wonder how the company faired when they first tried solid state. I've working on getting an older 1960's RCA tube stereo console, but am being warned that it might take a few hundreds bucks to restore. The Magnavox is said to be fully working.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hiya,

Consoles are a compromise IMHO and honestly its all about the styling with me and them.

If the Maggie has good styling that fits your decor better than the RCA I would personally consider it.

Some people will pop in and claim that because a console has tubes its automatically better and that to me is kicking some rather stylish consoles to the curb.

So ask yourself what is more important and understand that no matter what Consoles are not the end all of sound reproduction in most every case.

Frannie
 
having worked in the electronics industry for a long time and seen the tube to transistor transition, I can say the early transistors were minimal at best in alot of equipment. Mostly germainium at that. I built a germ knightkit amp and tuner. So I would say stay away from the early TR stuff and go for the good old tube stuff.
It wasnt until the late 60s into the 70s that good silicon transistors started to be made, much to our pleasure, for audio use. just ask the solid state guys. Not everyone will agree with me.
 
I just cleaned pots in a SS Maggy console my buddy had,, we used it as the daily driver, listening to the classic rock station in a house we renovated... It had a lot of bass, almost too much, as most early SS receivers seemed to, (my SS Sansui and Fisher for instance)... I really like the tube sound lot more than any SS gear I've heard...
Just my opinion, as I really liked more bass when I was younger, now, I'd rather listen to tubes, without a preamp when ever possible...
 
Hiya,

Consoles are a compromise IMHO and honestly its all about the styling with me and them.

If the Maggie has good styling that fits your decor better than the RCA I would personally consider it.

Some people will pop in and claim that because a console has tubes its automatically better and that to me is kicking some rather stylish consoles to the curb.

So ask yourself what is more important and understand that no matter what Consoles are not the end all of sound reproduction in most every case.

Frannie

Or, you could go in and put tube components in a nice looking solid-state console. The polite name for this is 'hybrid' but others might give it a different name. :D

-D
 
My dad bought a ss astrosonic 1964. I still have it. Quote from my dad at the time,( I do not care how it sounds,I just never have to buy another %^&##@ tube again)Alright for background noise. With a little work,yes, a tube implant is the ticket. Nice AR Dual,etc, TT My 2 cents Wayne
 
Hiya,

Yes you could put tube stuff in a solid state case. But consoles still are medicore as far as Audio Reproduction devices I am afraid.

Now if a console is just the AM/FM , Amplifier and the speakers and turntable are moved to a more optimal arraignment perhaps a console would be a nice. But then you are hiding the tubes and who is going to ohh and awww over that :)

Consoles IMHO peaked before WW2 and have been more and more a compromise since. Adding in Stereo , Turntables and what not is like cutting a hole in the hood of a Ferrari and adding a paint bucket scoop.

Frannie
 
I just got it home. Hundred bucks. Yes, it is not Hi Fidelity, but I think a new stylus will do plenty for this thing. Needs a Deox on all the dials too. But it runs great. An amazing bit of workmanship, this thing is an impeccable piece of furniture and all the "technology" still operates like a swiss watch. Should I move this thread to solid state?
 
Or, you could go in and put tube components in a nice looking solid-state console. The polite name for this is 'hybrid' but others might give it a different name. :D

-D

A Hybrid is actually a tube and solid state system. Fisher made them for a couple years in the mid sixties as did a couple others. Popping in tube gear, to me, seems to be a waste of time. If someone wanted to go that route, a nice vintage Barzilay or Drexel credenza would be much nicer than a modified console, and easier to do.

Germanium transistors can be fickle and are getting hard to find now. I've always been pretty impressed with higher end Astro Sonics. They sound OK for what they are. However most consoles made after about 1970 are just this side of garbage. There are exceptions of course. Some late sixties high end ones were pretty decent.

I too, have also gotten a kick out of watching a Collaro touch the record, then play it. For that vintage, Collaros and Glaser Steers were some of the better changers out there.
 
Last edited:
A Hybrid is actually a tube and solid state system. Fisher made them for a couple years in the mid sixties as did a couple others. Popping in tube gear, to me, seems to be a waste of time. If someone wanted to go that route, a nice vintage Barzilay or Drexel credenza would be much nicer than a modified console, and easier to do.

Germanium transistors can be fickle and are getting hard to find now. I've always been pretty impressed with higher end Astro Sonics. They sound OK for what they are. However most consoles made after about 1970 are just this side of garbage. There are exceptions of course. Some late sixties high end ones were pretty decent.

I too, have also gotten a kick out of watching a Collaro touch the record, then play it. For that vintage, Collaros and Glaser Steers were some of the better changers out there.

I wasn't referring to hybrid tube / solid state. I was being cute about calling cramming tube gear in a solid-state console a bastard. :yes:

-D
 
Does anyone know if magnavox was still using tube amps in consoles in 1969-70 I can get one very cheap But the guy doent know if its tube or ss and its a bit of a drive to go look .If there is a chance its tube i will go look and definitely bring it home if its tubes
 
All the SS Magnavox consoles I've seen pictures of had the "Astrosonic" logo somewhere under the lid. Either on the preamp/tuner bezel, or a decal somewhere.
However, the one hybrid I ran across didn't have anything to show it was a hybrid. So I thought it was an all tube console until I removed the back.
The turntable can be a giveaway also. The later SS consoles tended to use a more modern designed type.
 
A Hybrid is actually a tube and solid state system. Fisher made them for a couple years in the mid sixties as did a couple others.
Some friends' years ago had a Zenith beast of a console stereo that was hybrid. The receiver/preamplifier were tubes, and the power amp was SS.
The thing was a garage blaster with good tone.
 
It has been my observation that when Magnavox switched to their Astro-Sonic solid state devices, the sound wasn't as good as their tube types, having boomy bass and dull treble. But, in their defense, solid state was much less expensive to produce, so I guess I can't blame them. In 19752, my then wife and I bought a Spanish style 6' 75 Watts per channel console. It sounded good, but still had difficulty reproducing the last ounce of percussion sounds like brushes on drum, and finger cymbals. The "Timbre" control didn't help. I was listening to an old Neil Diamond sound on my current vintage 1962 console, and noticed I could even hear the guitar pick's clicking sound when it hit the strings.
 
It has been my observation that when Magnavox switched to their Astro-Sonic solid state devices, the sound wasn't as good as their tube types, having boomy bass and dull treble. But, in their defense, solid state was much less expensive to produce, so I guess I can't blame them. In 19752, my then wife and I bought a Spanish style 6' 75 Watts per channel console. It sounded good, but still had difficulty reproducing the last ounce of percussion sounds like brushes on drum, and finger cymbals. The "Timbre" control didn't help. I was listening to an old Neil Diamond sound on my current vintage 1962 console, and noticed I could even hear the guitar pick's clicking sound when it hit the strings.
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention: IMHO, though I still thing tubes produce better audio, solid state was definitely to way to go for AM/FM receivers. Solid state seem much more stable.
 
I have been listening to both tube and solid state audio gear for over 40 years, if a system is setup up properly with components that work well and well within the system, both types of amplification can be equally enjoyable.
 
My dad bought the cheapest Magnavox console back in 1965. It was solid state...and it sounded pretty dreadful. When my brother took it to college, dad upgraded to an HH Scott Berkeley console. The difference in sound quality was huge.
 
Back
Top Bottom