• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tube Identification Help

turbosnow

New Member
Hi all, trying to figure out what the heck this tube is. I have 2 of them out of an old German radio. I can’t seem to locate a decipherable code on them.
Someone probably knows this off the top of their head. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I’m mostly just curious.
Thanks,
Adam
 

Attachments

  • 390F40B0-E141-4570-936F-46F58E95B06C.jpeg
    390F40B0-E141-4570-936F-46F58E95B06C.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 56
  • BD77E573-90A8-4AAC-A148-CE37C842449C.jpeg
    BD77E573-90A8-4AAC-A148-CE37C842449C.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 74D32EE8-3D6E-459F-BE83-19003CB0124E.jpeg
    74D32EE8-3D6E-459F-BE83-19003CB0124E.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 50
Register to hide this ad
Thanks all for the responses, my question was unintentionally vague, my apologies. I was really trying to find out what the maker of the tube is. I’m familiar with the conversions between European and US tube codes. It’s a bit of a mystery, I can't seem to find the logo anywhere.
The German site didn't seem to have anything similar.
 
Last edited:
Thanks! Anyone have any idea what the company/logo is? I’m amazed that I seem to have found a tube that’s this unusual.
 
Nice, thanks all. They came out of a radio that I bought for almost nothing and was uselessly corroded. I can take solace in the fact that the tubes are esoteric and cool. I think it had the same brand of EL84s as well. I’ll have to take a peek later.
 
I've had some of those RFT 12AX7/ ECC83 tubes, labeled 'National'- they were actually sold as flame-eye tubes for heating furnaces!

They performed pretty close to the smooth-plate Telefunkens (which they were based on). Great tube for a phono stage.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I've had some of those RFT 12AX7/ ECC83 tubes, labeled 'National'- they were actually sold as flame-eye tubes for heating furnaces!

They performed pretty close to the smooth-plate Telefunkens (which they were based on). Great tube for a phono stage.

Regards,
Gordon.
Thank you for the info Gordon!
I think I only have one sadly but it’s neat to know.
 
How does a 12ax7 function as a flame eye tube? Or was that just a mis-label situation?

It was the amplifier tube for an electric eye, used as a pilot flame sensor in a furnace.

If you look up old posts by Jaymanaa, he described how this worked, somewhere...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom