• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Tube rectifier for Fender 6G15 head amp?

Lavane

Lunatic Member
I have a power transformer and OPT that should work well for a modded 6K6 SE
Fender 6G15 reverb amp. This schematic has the reverb circuit stripped out. Both this and the original use a SS rectifier.
I would like to use a tube rectifier to get some voltage sag. Or maybe add something like a 150 ohm resistor after the SS rectifier to get some sag?
Here is the drawing.
Fender-6G15-noreverb.gif
 
Register to hide this ad
ew, half wave.

Is the transformer you plan to use the same spec-wise to the original or is it a more conventional full wave setup? Reason I ask is because the only thing you can really do with a tube and that stock transformer is to use a half wave rectifier or a full wave wired as one. A bridge would offer opportunity for less noise, but the voltages would be silly. There is also the question of heater capacity to feed whatever rectifier you are considering here.

The thing with single ended amps is they don't have a whole bunch of current swing from idle to full output, so you won't necessarily get that much droop out of a tube rectifier. Honestly fair guess the stock transformer's internal resistance plus the resistance in the choke will have more sag than a tube will provide.
 
Thanks, tbats some morw info to consider. The transformer I have has a center tap. The SE 6L6 amp I built has a SS rectifier and it plays pretty clean all the way to full output. The 5F1 I recently finished has a 5Y3 rectifier and starts to break up around 1:00 on the volume control.
It gets some nice compression and crunch. I was looking to get more of that out of this 6K6 amp.
 
that probably has more to do with how the stages are biased than the rectifier itself. Easy enough to figure out, hang a voltmeter on the B+ supply and see what happens when you wind it up.
 
Back
Top Bottom