• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Tube virgin - - Are the tube amps in consoles useable in a project?

jeffn

Mid-Fi Crisis
I have an old HMV console from about the 50's or 60's. I probably won't rip it apart, but if I happen across one thats wreckable do the tube amps inside them make decent standalone tube amps?

I guess I'd need 2 for stereo as most oldies are mono around here.

I guess it depends on the console.?
 
Register to hide this ad
hells yeah : )

nothing more fun and satisfying than taking a dead or near dead tube console, and making the amp sinf on its own . . .well OK . . there's SOME things more satisfying, but this is right up there is the top ten :D

not sure what brands you come across in the Southern Hemisphere, but I'd say anything tube is fair game; probably stay away from the consoles running directly off wall current, i.e. no power transformer.

As for the mono issue, I have at least 4 mono tube integrated amps just waiting for a mate . . . it's like trading cards - find an orphan, and you'll always have an elusive match to hunt for.

Keep in mind you wouldn't have to really tear the console apart to use the amp on its own - I have a couple Maganavox tube amps up and running, and their original console homes are safely hibernating in the basement waiting to be rejoined at some (much) later date.

Usually, it's just a matter of replacing the coupling capacitors, *maybe* recapping the power supply if hum or overheating is present, and addign a fuse and power switch. It's pretty easy (and addictive) to do. Once you do one amp, pretty soon you have a HERD of console tube amps . .

Cheap Fn :thmbsp:
 
Greetings

I found a Voice of Music Console FOR $25.00 at a thrift. The pre amp and the reel to reel were yanked out. There was a cheapo SS reciever in place of the preamp. I salvaged the monoblocks (PP 6BQ5's) and speakers (Jensen two ways with horn tweeters. This was my first introduction to tube technology and the first time I used a soldering iron. I learned to recap them and get them to play well. I had to replace the output tubes and the 12AX7's also. It was a bit of work and and there was a steep learning curve but as markus said it was fun and satifying. I'm listening to them now.They sound great connected to an adcom GTP 400.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74683
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 85
I have an old HMV console from about the 50's or 60's. I probably won't rip it apart, but if I happen across one thats wreckable do the tube amps inside them make decent standalone tube amps?

I guess I'd need 2 for stereo as most oldies are mono around here.

I guess it depends on the console.?




YES, and some of them are VERY, VERY good sounding as well. I highly recommend anyone trying out tube audio on a budget, scavenge a chassis from an old console first if you can find one, you can buy it for $50 or so, and get your feet wet.

I currently have an early RCA single ended stereo cabinet amp, that I auditioned for a few hours 2 weeks ago- it sounds awesome and is a real keeper, it uses 6V6 outputs and feedback in the circuit. What I like about it is, it has more bass hit than my Akai M8 single ended monos, and more volume- but still has the single ended soundstage and detail.
 
Since this isn't a real popular forum i'll give away a secret.

Look for school auctions, there are some fantastic tube amplifiers to be found in older institutional AV equipment. Bell and Howell and Dukane used some very high quality amplifiers in their 16mm projectors, as well as filmstrip projectors that had built in turntables.

Occasionally you'll also run across small portable PA amplifiers and stand alone amplified record players.

Many times you can fill a pickup truck with this stuff at close to giveaway prices.......................... a fortune in tubes and iron alone.

It's a shame to see so many old consoles robbed of their amps and then trashed, if you go the console route, try to find storage for the remainder of the console so that when you part with the amp, the console can also be made available for someone who might want to restore it as a unit.

Remember, someday the well willl run dry of old tube consoles.
 
There are definitely some good console amps out there. Two of my best finds have been a Pilot integrated amp, and a little "no-name" Olson console amp that sounds incredible.

I have several other console projects awaiting their turn in the queue.

Whether or not to keep the console itself can be a tough call. Many of these little amps sound better once you hook them up to "real" speakers that can be positioned properly in a room. And the giant furniture boxes they come in eat up way too much space...
 
I've gutted a couple of HMV consoles I've found locally (SE Melbourne). I haven't found anything that I'd want to keep in one piece. One was already damaged when I got it. The other was in reasonable condition, but was so ugly and bulky for what little it had inside to keep intact.

I've still got the chassis here somewhere, but I've yet to get motivated to do anything with them. Both are pretty weedy little things. One has a a single 6GW8 per channel, the other a single 6EM5 per channel. Both have tiny little output transformers. 5W per channel at best, so efficient speakers would be a must.

I've yet to see anything like the console amps you guys on the other side of the world find.

You won't find a tranformerless series string chassis in a locally made console.
I don't think those designs were viable on our 240V mains.

I did find a weird Japanese National console once that was originally transformerless, but had been fitted with a step down transformer for use here. That was too nice to wreck, so I gave it to a local radio collector.

Another option if you could find them would be a pair of PA amps. AWAs have push-pull KT66s and big iron. Philips Australia made some using parallel push-pull 6CM5s. The 6CM5 is a TV sweep tube, so they'd be cheaper than KT66s.
 
Since this isn't a real popular forum i'll give away a secret.


Many times you can fill a pickup truck with this stuff at close to giveaway prices.......................... a fortune in tubes and iron alone.

It's a shame to see so many old consoles robbed of their amps and then trashed, if you go the console route, try to find storage for the remainder of the console so that when you part with the amp, the console can also be made available for someone who might want to restore it as a unit.

Remember, someday the well willl run dry of old tube consoles.


good advice- another source is old church pa systems

unfortunately, that is the fate of console stereos- now considered too large and unsightly, in a time where home floor space is at an all-time premium- many are getting busted up for their amps- as long as the amp then goes on to play and give more enjoyment, that's ok with me

I've sold 3 complete consoles to out of state buyers, who drove in to get them- one paid the freight charge and had it picked up, for the tube amped set- the other 2 were solid state with beautiful cabinets- but I also broke up 5 other consoles as well, 2 being tube amped (one SE and one Push-Pull), and sold the amp/tubes/chassis as a unit separately

one only has so much space for this stuff, then something has to go

those console mfg. plants ran for a long, long time, churning those units out to the public- literally decades- I think there's more of those out there, than we realize- much like the ubiquitous 8-track tape and 78rpm shellac record, you and I will be gone, and they will still be here

rather than hunt to find console tube amps for projects, I recommend buying an Akai M-8 reel deck and use that- it will sound better, be smaller, and are available every day on Ebay for under $200, and often under $100- delivered to your doorstep

it doesn't get any better than that
 
Greetings

I found a Voice of Music Console FOR $25.00 at a thrift. The pre amp and the reel to reel were yanked out. There was a cheapo SS reciever in place of the preamp. I salvaged the monoblocks (PP 6BQ5's) and speakers (Jensen two ways with horn tweeters. This was my first introduction to tube technology and the first time I used a soldering iron. I learned to recap them and get them to play well. I had to replace the output tubes and the 12AX7's also. It was a bit of work and and there was a steep learning curve but as markus said it was fun and satifying. I'm listening to them now.They sound great connected to an adcom GTP 400.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74683

just checked out those monoblocks - those are SU-WEEEEEET! ! !

and I'ma big fan of those Jensen tweeters too (RP103 I think?) I have a set pulled from a later SS Zenith . . .
 
Since this isn't a real popular forum i'll give away a secret.

What, you think you're the first guy to that dance?

:D

Tip: Always look in the botton of the big cardboard box of mike cables as there are surprises. I got (4) Sennheiser MD421's & a Shure 55S one time.
 
I guess it depends on the console.?

A contrarian point:

I'm not a huge fan of these unless it is all you can lay hands on. Yes, they can be dramatically improved over their "as delivered" configuration. However, they will ultimately be limited by the output transformer and the amount of bass you can squeak out of them. Others here will tell you though that I am crazy and as I haven't heard their systems and how good they sound, perhaps I am. Console amps have just never really done it for me. My starting point would be an integrated amplifier with the largest output transformers on it that you can afford.
 
I'm with soundmotor on this one. I have several rebuilt console amps, and have enjoyed listening to them quite a bit. The performance per dollar is exceptional, as long as you don't pay much for it (say, $20 or less). However, inexpensive modern transformers designed for hifi, such as the Transcendar OPTs (for SE, $80-$120/pr on eBay) or the Dynaclone OPTs (for PP, a bit more $$$), are so much better than typical console amp OPTs that it's not even funny. Of course, you've got to realize that is just my opinion. There are exceptions, too, but if you're buying on a public market, like eBay, those exceptions tend to be overpriced.

I would also note that the size of the transformer is not a great indicator of sound quality in general. But, I suspect that soundmotor was referring to readily available vintage amps, such as Dynacos, Scotts, Fishers, and such, which probably adhere reasonably well to the 'bigger is better' rule.
 
I have been pleasantly surprised by my console finds so far. The first one I bought (for $5) was a POS single ended GE. Junk you say! I agreed. I took the amp out, traced the circuit, and rebuilt it p to p into a neat little SE 6BQ5. Sounded pretty good, a little "loose" maybe, hard to describe, but VERY clear and detailed. I just paired it up with a slightly modded Dyna PAS3.
WOW. Those crappy little OT's make serious bass. I still can't believe it (listening right now). Of course the Model 19's help but this little amp sounds great.
I say get the consoles. Gut 'em. Keep stock only if rare. So many of these are around it's no crime to take the amp and run. They can make great home systems.
 
If you're asking me, then yes.

I haven't messed much with console tuners. I may be pleasantly surprised. Maybe not. I have three or four of them kicking around in the garage. I may fire one up now that I have a couple of MPX units to play with...
 
Is this a POS or not?

Its from an old console.....


let me put it this way:

if it is a stereo amp and it uses tubes, it's better sounding than anything you can buy new in Rex, Circuit City, Radio Shack, Walmart, or Kmart today.

regardless of make

now, in regards to RADIO TUNERS, the most sensitive I have ever heard, the one that will pull in another far-off radio station every nudge of the dial, and gets stellar sound from FM, in my experience that would be the Fisher 500c receiver- B2B against solid state modern tuners, it beats most of them hands down in sensitivity
 
Most of the tube consoles I find are Magnavox and they have some fine sounding amps in them. Usually they are very cheap - $5 to $10. One time I found two identical Magnavoxs (Magnavoxes?) at a TS and they sold both of them to me for $10 just to get rid of them. I used to gut them and then take the cabinets back to a thrift but lately they have refused to take them. They say nobody wants them so they will probably have to be busted up, which is sad as the cabinets are very nice. It's a fun, inexpensive hobby.
 
Back
Top Bottom