• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tubes or SS Amp for Planars

slovell

Well-Known Member
I recently got Hifiman HE1000se planar magnetic cans to replace my Hifiman Edition X cans due to an unrepairable broken headband. I've noticed a loss of dynamics since I switched. I did some research and discovered that the HE1000se's don't play well with my tube amp, a Fosgate Signature, that uses two 12AX7 tubes. I've read that I should switch to a high current SS amp for the HE1000se's. A Headamp GSX Mini has been recommended to me several times and it's within my budget. I haven't had SS in years so I'm kinda at sea here. Could anyone give me some info or advice about this?
Thanks,
Sam
 
Register to hide this ad
I have two Hifiman planars. Sundara's and Edition XS. I use a Schiit Vali 3 and a Schiit Asgard 3 to drive them and don't have any problems.
The Vali 3 is a tube hybrid and the Asgard 3 is a SS amp. Schiit products are solid, well thought of and affordable.
 
I would argue that if anything they are an easier load than dynamic drivers, because they are less reactive.

But since the sensitivity is often low, you often need "more power". The HE1000se is rated at "96db" but they don't say if that's per watt, volt, what, so it's a meaningless number. It's like saying you have a three-foot hole.

The Fosgate Signature is not an all-tube amp. It's an SRPP preamp with "high current" video buffer output.

Maybe it's just not a good combination.
 
The HE1000se's aren't quite as dynamic as my broken Edition X. That's not to say that they don't sound good, they do, but just don't have quite the punch as the X's. It broke my heart when the X's headband plastic came apart. The Edition X's are some seriously good cans and sounded very good indeed with the Fosgate. I'm sure the HE's will be just as good, or better, when I get the power straightened out. The HE's and the Fosgate just don't seem to really play well together. They still sound more than decent gut there's something missing. The bass is less punchy, the highs are there but slightly recessed, the mids are more than there. To my ears the HE's sound like a 86db sensitivity speaker with a 25 rms amp. I think they need a kick in the ass powerwise.
 
The HE1000se's aren't quite as dynamic as my broken Edition X. That's not to say that they don't sound good, they do, but just don't have quite the punch as the X's. It broke my heart when the X's headband plastic came apart. The Edition X's are some seriously good cans and sounded very good indeed with the Fosgate. I'm sure the HE's will be just as good, or better, when I get the power straightened out. The HE's and the Fosgate just don't seem to really play well together. They still sound more than decent gut there's something missing. The bass is less punchy, the highs are there but slightly recessed, the mids are more than there. To my ears the HE's sound like a 86db sensitivity speaker with a 25 rms amp. I think they need a kick in the ass powerwise.

You can get replacement headbands, pretty sure?
 
You can get replacement headbands, pretty sure?
You can get the leather part, but my frame is broken where the adjustment slider moves in and out. I looked on Hifiman's website and didn't see anything. I emailed them and was told they couldn't help me. Don't quite know what else to do.
 
You can get the leather part, but my frame is broken where the adjustment slider moves in and out. I looked on Hifiman's website and didn't see anything. I emailed them and was told they couldn't help me. Don't quite know what else to do.

Not sure i understand. The point where the yokes attach to the arc is certainly a weak spot, but whether it broke above or below that is what i don't understand.

I wonder if parts from the original headband assembly and the replacement assembly for the he-400i could come together?

 
I saw that one and it looks like it would work to me but Hifiman says no. OTOH Hifiman also told me that I couldn't change to the leather strap on the X and it fit perfectly. Might be worth the $75 to find out.
I'll try to take a photo of the damage tomorrow.
 
Here's the damage.
 

Attachments

  • broken x.JPG
    broken x.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 17
  • broken x 2.JPG
    broken x 2.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 17
  • broken x 3.JPG
    broken x 3.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 18
I see.

The extreme option is that there are generic headphone frames on aliexpress that could be modified to accept the X cups, but that does get into the potential to need to drill stuff out, etc.

I'm open to extreme diy, I know not everybody is.
 
Alike HB3, I Don't have issues driving Sundaras and HE4XX. Use either Schiit Magni or Asgard 3.
I listen south of 75 db spl when using speakers. So not real loud.

Neither of these amps offer option of balanced output. If you might want to try that in future.

The Asgard 3 has an internal transformer. So no wall wart to deal with. I didn't go for optional internal DAC. I think Asgard 3 has been redesigned.
 
My old Schiit Lyr 2 tube head amp puts out 6 watts at 32 Ohms, and has no issues with my HiFi Man HE400SE's. The current Schiit Midgard outputs 4.8 watts at 32 Ohms, and gets rave reviews for sound quality. But, all the latest Schiit designs are great for the price; Vali 3, Midgard, Asgard X, Valhalla 3, and the Mjolnir. Try a couple and send back the looser within 15 days.

Plus, I'd figure out a way to fix the Edition X headband. I found used HiFi Man spare parts on eBay (none mane, and be patient). Something there should work, as the mechanical mounting designs don't vary that much.

Good luck.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: HB3
I would argue that if anything they are an easier load than dynamic drivers, because they are less reactive.

But since the sensitivity is often low, you often need "more power". The HE1000se is rated at "96db" but they don't say if that's per watt, volt, what, so it's a meaningless number. It's like saying you have a three-foot hole.

The Fosgate Signature is not an all-tube amp. It's an SRPP preamp with "high current" video buffer output.

Maybe it's just not a good combination.
The Fosgate makes 1000 milliwatts at 32 ohms which comes out to 1 watt. Kinda weak for planars.
 
Thats like asking what type of fuel do you use for your bar-b-cue when cooking a steak. Each gives a different delightful flavor. Some prefer great modern tube sound, some want a more relaxed tube sound still more want a smooth Solid state sound but a few want the ultra clear and clean solid state sound. I prefer the advanced tube sound for my STAX electrostatic head phones.
 
The Fosgate makes 1000 milliwatts at 32 ohms which comes out to 1 watt. Kinda weak for planars.

My modern large planars are HE400S and HE4XX. My collection of vintage planars is large, list is long. I do have things like a late 70's Fostex T50, and a couple pair of T30.

Nearly every headphone amp i own is DIY, and I've been out of the game for a while. My favorites with the hifiman cans have both plenty of voltage swing and not insignificant power - mostly including my CK2III and Bijou, also Millet Max mosfet build to a lesser extent (very little to negative gain depending on how it's configured).

Smaller planars of mine are fine with lesser amps as long as they aren't terrible. For example, the little drivers in the Audio-Technica ATH-1 and Realistic Pro-30 can sound pretty good, if not particularly loud after being properly damped, directly out of the headphone jack on an iRiver H120 from, well, 20 years ago.
 
Bought an SMSL H400 ss amp. Sounds nice with lots of power at 32 ohms. Drives my Hifiman HE1000se's very well and even has a remote.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HB3
Back
Top Bottom