• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Turntable advice

Out of that group I would choose the Technics SL-1700 without a doubt. The 1200 is nice but bear in mind that they often pull DJ duty and as such have often seen heavy use / abuse. They also don't have any suspension, so resonance or feedback may be a problem. They are a full manual turntable, so you will have to retrieve the tonearm at the end of every play.
The SL-1700 has a suspension and an auto return, and it's a nice silent turntable especially for that price. I prefer the original version to the MK2 version, but that's just me. The Harman Kardon is a nice table too (made by Rabco I believe) but I've heard of some maintenance issues with it - maybe someone more familiar with it can chime in here.
 
I would only consider SL-1400,1500, 1700, if they are MKII, with the quartz lock and aluminum chassis. MKI is inferior.

The Q3 is the same motor/arm/design as the MKII tables, and has a nice aluminum chassis, and spring loaded suspension. SL-Q2 is identical to Q3, except between them, they have some auto return/cueing function differences - both other than that, Q2 and Q3 are identical.

-Chris
 
I would only consider SL-1400,1500, 1700, if they are MKII, with the quartz lock and aluminum chassis. MKI is inferior.

The Q3 is the same motor/arm/design as the MKII tables, and has a nice aluminum chassis, and spring loaded suspension. SL-Q2 is identical to Q3, except between them, they have some auto return/cueing function differences - both other than that, Q2 and Q3 are identical.

-Chris

Interesting:scratch2: But I will disagree with the SL1400MK2 and SL1500MK2 as being a better choice. Those 2 suffer from the infamous cueing problems that are not easy to fix. I know because I have an SL-1300MK2. The SL-1700MK2 has a similar issue but can be fixed. However, I would in no way say the others are "inferior":nono:
 
I have a Technics SL-1700. It is a great table and has served me well. I recently upgraded to a Technics SL-1210 which is a step up but I do miss the 1700's auto return feature. The price listed is in line with what I paid last May.
 
Interesting:scratch2: But I will disagree with the SL1400MK2 and SL1500MK2 as being a better choice. Those 2 suffer from the infamous cueing problems that are not easy to fix. I know because I have an SL-1300MK2. The SL-1700MK2 has a similar issue but can be fixed. However, I would in no way say the others are "inferior":nono:

I presume we are talking about 'working' units. Breakage is a different issue - but not all 1400MKII and 1500MKII have the problem. If the table is currently working, it seems rather unlike that the problem will suddenly appear anytime soon after all of this time of proper operation.

In any event, I say the Q3 is the best deal he posted ($25!) if it is a good condition working unit.

-Chris
 
I cannot saw all are not working. I will say "Most". It is very rare to find one that is not broken. It was a design flaw, not a misuse/old age problem. I will say you are right about the Q3, it would be well worth the money:thmbsp:
 
I would only consider SL-1400,1500, 1700, if they are MKII, with the quartz lock and aluminum chassis. MKI is inferior.

Not by a long shot. The original version has a very reliable and effective design that bells and whistles can't improve on. Quartz locking really isn't necessary, the original servo drive is very accurate, reliable, rock steady and uncomplicated. The 1600 and 1700 mechanisms got everything right, but there always have to be so called "upgrades" on existing successful models to keep the masses convinced that they are getting the latest and greatest new thing. They of course have the heavy weight aluminum chassis as well.
 
Last edited:
The Q3 is the deal there. The Kenwood KD-2055 would be my second choice, but I'd try to get the seller down to $50 unless it had a great cart installed and ready to go.

Before I picked up my AR and ROK tables, a KD-3055 was the only belt-drive in my permanent collection. Great tables that suffer (at least in the seller's eyes) from the usual Kenwood under-the-radar status.
 
Thanks for the help guys! Been really useful.

The 1200 and the Kenwood were both snapped up before I could get them, but I've got the Q3 and the Harman Kardon tables reserved for me. I'm going to test the sound on both and see which I prefer I think. As the Q3 isn't belt driven (right?) it might be in better condition, although the HK seller assures me the T35 plays perfectly!

However, someone has just approached me with a Sanyo TP-80SA. He quotes "with Hysteresis Drive Motor. Not a common model. Excellent condition. It has a Pickering V-15 cartridge.Stylus is in excellent condition with low hours on it." and wants about $100 for it, but I may be able to negotiate.

What do you think?

Also, now I'm almost settled on a turntable I should focus my search on preamps, of which I know nothing. I know I can get a basic model at Radioshack for $20 but would I be better off with a vintage model again?

Thanks!
 
The Q3 is quartz-locked direct-drive full-auto. As long as it's working and holding speed, you can't go wrong there. I have the non-quarts semi-auto D2, and while other TTs have shouldered it out of rotation, it's still a solid TT that I liked using.
 
Thanks for all the help. I ended up getting the Technics SL-1200 MK2, which ended up being in perfect condition. I have a few questions about it however: it currently has a Ortofon Concorde Pro cartridge - it looks like it is in good condition, but should I get a different/new cartridge instead?

Also, I believe I need a preamp for this as my receiver doesn't have a phono input. Which one would work best (for a very limited budget) with this table?

Thanks again.
 
Back
Top Bottom