• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Turntable Choice?

dryce

Active Member
I have been looking for an automatic turntable recently. I have found a few, but as is typical, I'm having trouble choosing. The options are:

Marantz 6170
Phillips 212
Pioneer PL-400
Realistic Lab 400
Elac Miracord 50H/HII
Technics SL-1400 (Semi-automatic)
Technics SL-Q2
BIC 940/960

I have a Music Hall MMF5 manual now that unfortunately needs a new lift mechanism. I still plan to fix and use that as well, but it would be nice to have an automatic floating around. It will be used with my Marantz 2245. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Philips GA212 if its in good condition, check all the switches, she's a nice deck :thmbsp:
 
I'm pretty sure the Phillips is a manual table. I do believe it lifts at the end of the record, but not auto.
 
Realistic LAB-400 is a great table if you want full automation. But, that being said the Technics SL-1400 is also a great choice.
 
If it's in good mechanical shape, the Elac 50H is a wonderful old turntable. I had one a couple years ago, and it worked good as new. Just be aware that the headshell is proprietary.
 
I've owned the GA-212 in the mid seventies paired with a MicroAcoustics 2002e cartridge. I also used the Ortofon VMS20E. Both were a magnificent pairing. My only concern would be servicing it.
 
Looks like I missed out on the 212. I'm leaning toward either the Realistic or the Elac. They have a nice unique look to them. Is there a marked difference between the Elac 50H and the 50H II? I've noticed they go for a bit less compared to the other Elac tables.
 
How are you liking the Elac? I got a 50H last year, had it refurbed and have been really happy with it. Hell, it worked great before I had it refurbed.
 
Where exactly does one get an Elac refurbed???

Thanks,

---Mike---

Bad choice of words Mike. I should have said serviced. I took mine to a competent tech and he spent about 2 to 3 hours cleaning all the gunk out of it, lubricating, checked out the idler and internal parts, put on new cables and a new AT cart. Sounded great before, even better now.

I was going to attempt it myself. However, these auto turntable kind of intimidate me. I guess I could get one that is in bad shape and practice on that. The 50H I picked up for $80 was in such great shape. I didn't want to chance messing it up. Especially since the auto return was working correctly. I need to take a pic of it. Have it in the bedroom setup with a Marantz 2226B and some EPI M50's.

I know there are some fine BIC turntables out there. However, the ones I have seen have been junk.
 
I've owned the GA-212 in the mid seventies paired with a MicroAcoustics 2002e cartridge. I also used the Ortofon VMS20E. Both were a magnificent pairing. My only concern would be servicing it.

I ran the same cart in my 212, too. I should never have gotten rid of it. I still have the cart but can't afford a custom stylus for it.
 
Bad choice of words Mike. I should have said serviced. I took mine to a competent tech and he spent about 2 to 3 hours cleaning all the gunk out of it, lubricating, checked out the idler and internal parts, put on new cables and a new AT cart. Sounded great before, even better now.

I understood your meaning. My comment was because the good electronics repair shops have disappeared in my area. The nearest one, is about an hour away, and I think he may have retired. It's been a few years since I have been in communication with him. I don't like the idea of sending a TT half way across the country for repair. Too much can happen.

---Mike---
 
http://s160.beta.photobucket.com/user/Silverbullet763/library/Elac 50H

Well I've finally received the turntable. The headshell was sort of hanging when I unboxed it. I slid it back on the tonearm but it seems to dislodge easily. It came with a Pickering XV-15. The stylus looks to be in need of replacement as there is little output and the side ears are gone. The headshell wiring concerns me. I'm not too sure it's supposed to look like it does, but I'll defer to the more knowledgeable. Other than these issues, the table turns without noise and the controls all appear to function appropriately.
 
Last edited:
1736C177-E398-4252-81CB-B849DD660C31-33548-00001C0CB706FD6B.jpg


That's better than the darker ones. Sorry about that. The stylus definitely needs replacement. It actually fell out of the body of the cart. Out of curiosity, how long are the shafts on those? I'm worried part of the stylus may still be inside the cart.
 
The Technics SL-Q2 (which I also own) is not an automatic. It's a semi-automatic.

You should also look at Sony PS-X5, PS-X6 or PS-X7. They can be switched (from top plinth control) from automatic to semi-automatic with a turn of a selector.

They are very heavy tables and built like tanks (as are some of the Technics).

Wayner
 
Back
Top Bottom