• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

turntable lessons learned during 2019

illini

The Past is Alive
What are your turntable lessons learned during 2019?

My lessons for 2019:

1. The stylus wears out no matter how well the record and stylus are taken care of, cleaned, etc. See the link:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/new-thread-at150mlx.460301/page-2#post-12597976

2. An extreme vocal track is necessary to accurately test the viability of a phono stylus. My choice of vinyl track, based on experience (see #1), is The Knife - Silent Shout - Na Na Na

3. A separate turntable and cartridge are necessary to fully implement the #2 point (see above)

4. I love vinyl, even though most of mine is in storage at the moment

5. Vinyl records can withstand cold temperatures. See the link: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/i-stored-a-lp-in-my-freezer.887845/

6. AK is unreceptive to environmental experiments on vinyl records (see #5).
 
Register to hide this ad
In no particular order:

1. Its better to have one end game table than 3,4, or more good tables

2. Cartridges really matter, and buy the best you can afford

3. Phono stages really matter also, buy the best you can afford

4. Idler drives, Direct Drives, Belt drives all have a unique presentation. Understand what you like about analog
playback

5. Record cleanliness can be achieved on the cheap with a Squeaky Clean if so desired

6. Ultra Sonic record cleaning doesn't have to cost thousands of dollars

7. Save your money, buy the best you can stretch for. Best to delay a bit instead of going for instant gratification

8. Good analog can be quite affordable. However, greatness is not cheap.

9. There is more than one way to play back vinyl with excellent results. My way, your way, or someone elses
way is not the only way to great sound.

10. Its a hobby. Have fun!

Cheers
Mister Pig
 
The main thing I learned is: spending money is not the same as enjoying your life. To be honest I already knew that, but audio equipment (and a certain sort of audio ideology) has a way of putting a fine point on that.

I also learned that cat hairs can find their way inside of a turntable that appears never to have been opened before and which has no obvious openings into which cat hair could make its way.
 
1. Ive learned that idler wheels dont wear out as fast as i thought they did. Both idlers on my tables are original and sound beautiful. The idler moves away from the capstan when not in use. Thats key.

2. That acoustic feedback isnt only caused by the floor, can also be caused by hollow walls.

3. That a cartridge from 1961 can sound so amazing. Im talking the Shure m77.

4. That the AT-95E is true bang for your buck. Never heard one before last week. Only heard good things.

5. That Japanese idler drives just got it right and can be used hardcore without any issues arising.

6. That my cat hates big band. She doesnt like the horns. Lol

7. That ill never get tired of spinning vinyl. Its just an amazing format and has so much to offer.

8. That the phono preamp’s in an Optonica SM-4646 are extremely underrated.

9. That sometimes less is more.

10. im hoping i get some vinyl for Christmas. Lol

Those are my top ten. Merry Christmas all.
 
Last edited:
1. Owning multiple turntables and getting them to all work as you want them to work and getting them to sound the way you think they should sound is a great lesson on what makes tables tables. You get smart by doing, creating, modifying, dreaming. Buying a big expensive table removes that playfulness of experimentation, puts you into a box. Fear of damaging such a table gets in the way of learning, experimenting.

2. Almost all arms are adjusted (perhaps at the factory) incorrectly. Doing adjustments on tonearm pivots and learning where the precise point is for pivot tension releases extreme detail from a record groove. Fear is a great inhibitor. However, not for the shy or timid. (If you do, you do it at your own risk).

3. Attached interconnects are the biggest mistake any manufacturer can make. It restricts placement because of length, may affect sound quality due to construction of tethered interconnect.

4. Record and stylus cleanliness is a lifestyle. Clean noise free records can tend to sound like the master tape it was cut from. Clean records and stylus extend record and stylus life.

5. Always use the cueing lever.

6. Keep tables away from big power amps (that have big power transformers).

7. Have fun.
 
This isn't a lesson learned last year, but over the years I've learned that I can enjoy records played on all sorts of equipment. I used to agree with Mr. Pig that one great component is better than several very good components, but nowadays I more agree with WaynerN that wanting only the best actually limits the fun. I like music, but I also like puttering, and a turntable that needs some TLC appeals more to me than one that is perfect and can't be touched. It doesn't hurt that it is probably cheaper, too.
Later edit: Because we all differ, I'm not arguing that one great component isn't the way to go for many people. Just that futzing with something gives me enough pleasure that I'm willing to dawdle on the way to perfection, and probably I'm not alone - this is a forum filled with people who, unaccountably, didn't want perfect sound forever.
 
Last edited:
I’m in agreement with the above. I recently refurbished a new to me table. It taught me that it doesn’t have to be the best to peg your fun meter. I love that little table.
It’s not my best sounding but I love the combination of what it is.

And yes AT95E’s are amazing for the price.
 
Thanks to a couple of helpful members here, I finally understand compliance. And I now have a ballpark effective mass for the arm on my turntable. All that helped me find my end game cartridge for this turntable.
 
The Grado Gold/8mz combo is very nice
Buy the best pressing you can afford
Tonearm set up is crucial
The fluid dampener kit for Technics SL 1200 MK II is a must have
Be obsessed with cleaning Records, Even new
Experiment with cartridge loading, 47ohms is not the final word, Even for MM
Buy the best Preamp you can, With adjustable loading/Gain
 
Last edited:
Check that your turntable is level using a good spirit level. I did this after being disappointed with the sound of my turntable and was amazed at the difference in sound after correctly levelling the turntable. Best thing I have ever done!
 
I'm learning, and re-learning, that it becomes easy to listen to the gear instead of the music on the record. I love the hobby pursuit but as I become more knowledgeable I often find myself listening for something in the music that tells me about whether the gear is doing a good job, and it becomes an abstraction instead of enjoyment. In the coming year I would love to find my way back to just loving the music and not obsessing with the equipment.

'I wonder whether the next level in phono pre would open this up a bit more...'
 
I believe one thing practically everyone agrees on is that your mood when you are listening has a strong effect on how you hear/perceive/enjoy the music. So whether your approach is gear oriented or not, as long as you are happy with your approach, you should be pleased more often then not when you listen. There is room for all tastes.
 
1. I learned that you should never leave turntables “as-is” and hope for the best in terms of issues. Found out the hard way this year, as many of you probably have seen. The hot and ground of one of my rca cables from my turntable touched, sent a current through my beloved speaker, and fried it. Luckily, with a little spending, the speaker has been returned to its former glory. Listening to it as we speak actually.
2. Cartridge alignment and overhang are not the same thing :dunno::rflmao: definitely my bad. Oh well, we all learn these things at one point or another.

Very happy with the things I’ve learned this year, audio-related and not.
 
Back
Top Bottom