• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Turntable mats - Is it a Ginger vs Mary Ann thing?

sinnerboy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have three turntable mats, an Acrylic piece from Hudson HiFi, a leather mat and the standard rubber mat that came with my Technics SL-1300. Are preferences just that? Or, do some turntables respond better to acrylic or leather as opposed to rubber? Just curious as to the collective perspective.
 
Register to hide this ad
If you have the original SL-1300 which does not have VTA, then different mats with different thickness will effect the sound.
I have the orignal SL-1300 .. I have a Cork & Cork/Rubber mat. Cork is slightly thinner, and there is a noticeable difference.
 
Mats absorb vibration (sound) or repel it.
All the vibration absorbed is a vibration that the cart miss and vise versa.
You want the maximum noise isolation from motors and any other noise source, but at the same time you dont want to absorb what is been reproduce in your LP. So mats are important. IMO leather and cork are the best I tested on my TT. I played some record on my acrylic platter without anything, some jazz sound beautiful other too sibilant. Our work window is very narrow better keep tight tolerances.
AG.
 
Last edited:
No.

No.

Jeannie or Samantha.

Barbara Eden wins every time.
You sure about that? ;)

28a4af071fe92131cad570d52d2746cc.jpg
 
Considering that Natalie Schaffer was past age 60, she was sizzling.

And, sure Elizabeth Montgomery was hot, but from a purely fantasy point of view, the Jeannie character had the edge.

I was watching an early IDOJ, and don't you know, the first director was Gene Nelson.
 
Yeah I gotta go Elizabeth Montgomery here... no doubt...


Ben

On a side note, there is a recent series of commercials with a girl who looks just like her.

Due to my current housing situation, I don't even have any of my good stuff set up. I'm using an acrylic mat to replace the original rubber that started giving off an oily residue. I can't tell the difference in that system, but it sure looks cool.
 
Back
Top Bottom