• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

turntable value

tcss

Active Member
I am looking at a VPI HW-19 with a Sumiko mmt tonearm and unknown grado cart. I have no idea if the $825 asking price is alright. Also, should I assume this turntable is much better than my Technics SL-1700 (MK1)?
Thanks, Tom

Edit, while I am here, a friend has a Clearaudio Concept with upgraded Satisfy Black tonearm and upgraded Clearaudio Artist V2 Ebony cartridge for $1300. Good deal?

There is also a Pro-ject 2xperience sb with an ortofon 2m black, purchased new 6 months ago, $1050
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I am looking at a VPI HW-19 with a Sumiko mmt tonearm and unknown grado cart. I have no idea if the $825 asking price is alright. Also, should I assume this turntable is much better than my Technics SL-1700 (MK1)?
Thanks, Tom

Edit, while I am here, a friend has a Clearaudio Concept with upgraded Satisfy Black tonearm and upgraded Clearaudio Artist V2 Ebony cartridge for $1300. Good deal? Not sure about the magnetic bearings as related to cartridge set up.

Here are some links to spec for both:

Technics SL-1700
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-1700.shtml

VPI HW-19
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/vpi-industries/hw-19.shtml

Suspect a better tone arm in regards to the Sumiko MMT tone arm. :idea:
 
The Clearaudio Concept seems like a deal- looking at new prices; the table $1,400, + tonearm $1400 and Cart $600.
 
Really depends on what model HW-19. If it's a Mk III or Mk IV, the asking price is pretty fair for a 'table that can be tweaked, modified, and upgraded as high as you want to take it. I paid about that for my HW-19 Mk III 10-12 years ago, and gradually upgraded it to Mk IV status and beyond.
 
Back
Top Bottom