• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TV/7 Vintage GE 6550 and Gold Lion KT-88 reissue

CPTV

New Member
Hope all is well with the year coming to an end Question. Does Gold Lion Russian KT-88 and GE 6550 NOS NIB test different on the TV-7? I know the 6550 is the KT-88 settings. I am getting 75 on my vintage 6550 and more like 50-60 on the Russian Gold Lion KT-88 NIB

Thank you.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hope all is well with the year coming to an end Question. Does Gold Lion Russian KT-88 and GE 6550 NOS NIB test different on the TV-7? I know the 6550 is the KT-88 settings. I am getting 75 on my vintage 6550 and more like 50-60 on the Russian Gold Lion KT-88 NIB

Thank you.
The minimum is 44
 
I think you're running into the limitations of a) tube testers, and b) the ability of current tube manufacturers to match the original specs. No doubt in an actual amp you'd have to bias the Gold Lions differently to achieve the same level of operation, but that doesn't mean the tubes are weak or defective.

OTOH, if you bought them from a less than stellar dealer, they could be B-grade stock and really not up to snuff. Are you confident about the source?
 
On my old Stark tester some new production tubes never tested properly. The Sovtek 12AX7 LPS always tested marginal and failed the "life test" setting. That's one example. I think the new glass is best described as sort of like the original both physically and electrically.
 
The minimum is 44
I think you're running into the limitations of a) tube testers, and b) the ability of current tube manufacturers to match the original specs. No doubt in an actual amp you'd have to bias the Gold Lions differently to achieve the same level of operation, but that doesn't mean the tubes are weak or defective.

OTOH, if you bought them from a less than stellar dealer, they could be B-grade stock and really not up to snuff. Are you confident about the source?
Thank you. I need to research bias the amp. A pair of Mc-60's. The source had 100% positive reviews. I find that some of the tube sellers on eBay that have the 30 day no matter what return are either really good or like a couple. They take them back and thank me. Must be B stock trying to pull a fast one and don't want to rock any boats
That is what it seems anyway. Premium prices. No bro deals
 
Thank you. I need to research bias the amp. A pair of Mc-60's. The source had 100% positive reviews. I find that some of the tube sellers on eBay that have the 30 day no matter what return are either really good or like a couple. They take them back and thank me. Must be B stock trying to pull a fast one and don't want to rock any boats
That is what it seems anyway. Premium prices. No bro deals

Well, I see that you can't adjust the bias on an MC60, which is all the more reason why the tubes should be strong and well-matched. I stopped buying tubes on eBay, not because the dealers are "dishonest" but because there's no way to know where they source their stock. I'd rather pay the extra for a trusted dealer who sells selected tubes and guarantees them.

I really can't say whether the Gold Lions will perform satisfactorily in your amp, since there's no easy way to check the operating current. I would suggest that if you have any doubts and can return the tubes, do so. If they are not returnable, use them in the amps and see how they sound. If the amps don't seem to be generating as much power as they should then the tubes may not be as good as they should be. Sorry I don't have a better answer.
 
Back
Top Bottom