• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tweeter Repair - B&W DM330i - little help please

Snade

humble AK member
(note, this post edited with better photos)

I just picked up a pair of B&W DM330i (circa 1987)

One has a tweeter with no sound.

I researched tweeter repair from AK and found some helpful posts from Seth.

I know nothing about tweeter repair.

But I was able to remove the tweeter and visually inspect the thin copper wires. I should look for any breaks, correct ?

Any specific place I should look. I don't see any clear breaks, but may need to look closer.

BandW_tweeter_1.jpg


BandW_tweeter_3.jpg


BandW_tweeter_2.jpg


Note: local B&W dealer here in Chicago says this tweeter is no longer available from B&W parts.

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers, Snade
 
Register to hide this ad
Tweeters fail due to open connections (as you are rightly searching for), shorted out voice coils (due to heat damage from being overdriven), or voice coils jammed up in their slots due to physical deformation or misalignment. Good luck on finding the open as successful home tweeter repair in a situation like this is pretty rare. Now, the important thing is that you still have one good tweeter to get performance measurements on so that you could try to find a replacement with similar characteristics. If you have access to speaker driver parameter measuring software with a calibrated mic, then it would be easy to locate a suitable replacement from a brand like SEAS or Vifa. (Match efficiency, impedance curve, and frequency response characteristscs as closely as possible). Your cabinets might need to be altered to accomodate any replacement units. Lacking that I would contact a well known speaker repair shop or raw driver retailer and ask them how best to proceed. It also pays to keep an eye on ebay in case an orphan single speaker shows up for a reasonable price, or to search for tweeters someone has pulled from the same model. Again I say Good luck!
 
There is a place in Denver that is a B&W repair shop and I've used them when I needed work on my B&W's. I'll PM you the info when I get home from work today. Maybe they can help you out.
 
I suggest you call B&W service center directly. Their number is ( 978 ) 664 2870.
They may be able to give you some advice if they no longer have the part. You should confirm it's no longer available from them. I found them to be very helpful when I replaced a tweeter diaphram (dome) on a Matrix 2 Series 2 speaker, which I think is from the same era.
 
Hey Guys, thanks for the info.

I found a speaker repair place in Chicago (Van L Speakerworks) that says they have fixed several B&W tweeters. He said they either find and fix the break in the thin copper wire or if that fails they can usually find a replacement coil by calling B&W and finding out the source of the coil. He said this repair generally runs 25 to 50 bucks.

I'm taking it in later today.

Thanks again. Snade
 
Snade,
I got a pair of 110i's not too long ago, and both the tweeters were dead (same tweeters as yours). I contacted B&W through thier website, and they told me they had replacements for $27 each. I was able to repair mine.

I love the way tese little puppies sound. I know you will like the bigger version!:music:
 
wdug said:
I suggest you call B&W service center directly. Their number is ( 978 ) 664 2870.
They may be able to give you some advice if they no longer have the part. You should confirm it's no longer available from them. I found them to be very helpful when I replaced a tweeter diaphram (dome) on a Matrix 2 Series 2 speaker, which I think is from the same era.
I too sugest you call B&W...I've bought two different tweeter diaphrgms from them
 
trueview said:
I too sugest you call B&W...I've bought two different tweeter diaphrgms from them

Thanks guys. I called B&W service direct per your suggestions (978) 664 2870.

Very helpful - the info they gave me was different from what a local B&W dealer told me (they said no replacement parts for this model).

They do have a replacement tweeter diaphragm for the DM330i, they said it is slightly different from the stock tweeter (same specs and fit) and recommended I buy two and swap out both speakers. Cost is $30 per tweeter and 10 bucks shipping. I should have them in 3 days. The install will be easy (4 screws).

Thanks again. Snade
 
Update to this post :

Tweeter diaphragm replacement done. The speakers sound very, very good. :thmbsp:

I picked them up for $50 on a CL posting here in Chicago and I have $70 into the replacement of the tweeters, so I'm a happy camper. Here is a photo of one of the repaired speakers.

BandW_DM330i_speakers.jpg


These speakers date from 1987 and are designed a bit more efficient (91db) than most B&W speakers. They play loud, but nice.

Thanks again for your help directing me to B&W service. Snade
 
Be very careful not to overpower them. Those woofers have a tendancy to bottom out and break the leader wire to the coil.
 
Normally the wire breaks before the coil as it is the weakest point. It is unlikely to be inside the coil as the wire around it has some cooling effect when it gets hot due to overdriven. I would put it under a magnifying glass and check for break. It is normally a 2 layer coil you probably can find the break if it is the outside layer. You are out of luck it is the inside layer but it is still possible. I have done repair on tweeter myself. It is challenging but rewarding.
 
Back
Top Bottom