• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Two different subwoofers for HT ?

bobinaz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just curious if anyone here has had success using 2 different subwoofers in your home theater setup.
I have been using a Phase Technology Octave 1.0 sub for years and have been pretty happy with it. I've heard many times that 2 subs are better, but what if they are different brands, sizes? The second sub I am considering is a Monitor Audio RSW12 I can get for a super price. My rcvr is an older Yamaha RX-V2500. Fronts are currently Phase Tech PC9.1, rears are some small Boston CR6. I have a matching Phase Tech PC3.1 center which I can't use yet because of space issues. But soon I am going to rearrange the whole room and am wondering if the two different subs will make things better or worse. I know if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but do others here use 2 different subs and are happy with the results?
 
Register to hide this ad
Yeah, I use two different ones, but a bit differently probably than you're doing or inquiring about.

I use a pair of Paradigm Servo 15s for LFE, and a Definitive Tech PF1500 for low end on the surround speakers.
 
If you can EQ both subs to your system then your fine. But even if you can't 2 subs even though different are better than one.
 
I use a 10" Dayton sub, along with a M&K V3B 12" sub. Both on my Yamaha RX-A3030, without issue. For a 2 channel stereo set-up with smaller satellites, I'd want matching subs, but for a H/T, they're fine. For my stereo listening, I turn off the subs, as my AR90s are fine without the extra help.

One other thought; I don't think using mis-matched subs for a H/T is a detriment. Since they're each a different design, each has a different resonance frequency, and as such, they don't reinforce the same frequencies to one another. Less bass boom that way. That's actually why Brian Cheney of VMPS designed his Large Sub with both a 12" and a 15" woofer. It staggered their resonance frequencies and produced less boom, as a result. Brian swore by that technique. Even in his stereo speakers, with what looked like multiple matching drivers, he used bass and midbass drivers, that had different sized magnets, to stagger their resonances.
 
2 subs even though different are better than one.

So if I only have the One Sub Out do I use a Splitter to Run two Sub's

Sorry for the Derail.......I would Think even if the Sub's are Different it would be Fine.

,Mike.
 
Yes, a Y-Splitter is fine. No harm done.

Yup...as long as it is used as a splitter not a combiner.

Not suggesting you've implied that at all, but I've seen recommendations a number of times to use "Y" cable to combine signals and that's a no-no. So, figured I'd mention that for good measure.
 
I use a Velodyne 12 and an Energy 10 in my man cave (see profile pic) and only for below 40hz as my Sony APM speakers are very bass capable to high volumes, and very accurate, and I'm thrilled with the sound. I listen to King Crimson's "Thrak" on DVDA at 96/24 in surround and the 2 drummers and dual bassists are clearly discernible at all times. Having extra bass capability is like having max power for your boat, you never regret having, you only regret not having it when you need it.
 
Back
Top Bottom