Hello, I've been lurking for months but this is my first post. My apologies if it runs long but I'm hoping to provide all the necessary info that might be needed to help me.
Quick background, I grew up in the 60's and 70's with an audiophile dad and some truly stunning stereo equipment. Once I left home in the early 1980's I relegated myself to cheap receivers and bookcase speakers, ultimately not having a home system at all for the last 20 odd years. Flash forward to today and I'm assembling a listening room in my home which I live in alone.
I've acquired a recapped Citation 12 amplifier, a Citation 11 preamp which I've had recapped, a Marantz 6350 turntable which after deoxing the pitch pots performs perfectly and a pair of Klipsch Heresy I's that it turns out had recently had new Crites crossovers installed. So, I'm gathering up a small album collection, playing LP's, streaming apple music and all is well...I'm very pleased.
Fortunately or unfortunately, a pair of Infinity Reference Studio Monitors fell into my lap. The woofers have been refoamed and one of the Emit tweeters had been replaced, but I have the proper Emit replacement on the way. These sound rather amazing and while I'm loving the Heresies, I think I'd like to run these too in the living room. Rather than debate which speakers should be my main set, I'll just say the Heresies are very full sounding and Dave Brubeck or Frank Sinatra sound amazing. Meanwhile the RSM's have both highs and lows that seem effortless and listening to classic rock, they too sound amazing.
The Citation 12 drives the 4 ohm RSM's perfectly fine and of course drives the Heresies effortlessly. I can envision a scenario where I'd possibly want to run all four speakers at once and I understand the load of both 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers can be a recipe for disaster. Reading the amp's manual, it states 4 ohm, 8 ohm and 16 ohm are all acceptable but it doesn't mention mixing the different impedance speakers together. But after reading tons of posts here, I'm assuming it's a bad idea and the amp is only 60 wpc anyway. The Citation 11 has preamp outputs for two amps, so I'm debating on adding another Citation 12 to the system if this would solve my problem.
So here is my dilemma and where I wish I had more knowledge. The Citation 11 requires the proprietary cable from the amp which bypasses hooking the speakers directly to the amp but allows you to switch from system 1 speakers to system 2 speakers and also allows you to use the headphone jack. The speakers connect instead to the preamp allowing the switching functions. If I add another amp, how do I ensure each amp independently operates a set of speakers? Does the preamp automatically assign amp 1 and amp 2 to each speaker system? Does this even matter, or do the amps just operate in tandem and if so can I assume it's safe to run the 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers simultaneously? I appreciate any help and I'm grateful this forum exists.
Quick background, I grew up in the 60's and 70's with an audiophile dad and some truly stunning stereo equipment. Once I left home in the early 1980's I relegated myself to cheap receivers and bookcase speakers, ultimately not having a home system at all for the last 20 odd years. Flash forward to today and I'm assembling a listening room in my home which I live in alone.
I've acquired a recapped Citation 12 amplifier, a Citation 11 preamp which I've had recapped, a Marantz 6350 turntable which after deoxing the pitch pots performs perfectly and a pair of Klipsch Heresy I's that it turns out had recently had new Crites crossovers installed. So, I'm gathering up a small album collection, playing LP's, streaming apple music and all is well...I'm very pleased.
Fortunately or unfortunately, a pair of Infinity Reference Studio Monitors fell into my lap. The woofers have been refoamed and one of the Emit tweeters had been replaced, but I have the proper Emit replacement on the way. These sound rather amazing and while I'm loving the Heresies, I think I'd like to run these too in the living room. Rather than debate which speakers should be my main set, I'll just say the Heresies are very full sounding and Dave Brubeck or Frank Sinatra sound amazing. Meanwhile the RSM's have both highs and lows that seem effortless and listening to classic rock, they too sound amazing.
The Citation 12 drives the 4 ohm RSM's perfectly fine and of course drives the Heresies effortlessly. I can envision a scenario where I'd possibly want to run all four speakers at once and I understand the load of both 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers can be a recipe for disaster. Reading the amp's manual, it states 4 ohm, 8 ohm and 16 ohm are all acceptable but it doesn't mention mixing the different impedance speakers together. But after reading tons of posts here, I'm assuming it's a bad idea and the amp is only 60 wpc anyway. The Citation 11 has preamp outputs for two amps, so I'm debating on adding another Citation 12 to the system if this would solve my problem.
So here is my dilemma and where I wish I had more knowledge. The Citation 11 requires the proprietary cable from the amp which bypasses hooking the speakers directly to the amp but allows you to switch from system 1 speakers to system 2 speakers and also allows you to use the headphone jack. The speakers connect instead to the preamp allowing the switching functions. If I add another amp, how do I ensure each amp independently operates a set of speakers? Does the preamp automatically assign amp 1 and amp 2 to each speaker system? Does this even matter, or do the amps just operate in tandem and if so can I assume it's safe to run the 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers simultaneously? I appreciate any help and I'm grateful this forum exists.