• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Two-year Vintage Pioneer Project

JayGee3

Vintage Pioneer Enthusiast
20220921_154608.jpg

I've been in the forums for a while now lurking and learning. Most questions I've had, someone else has asked previously so it's been a great resource as I've built the system. So thanks for that!

I've been pieceing together a vintage Pioneer system for about two years. I've more or less finished now with the last couple of components being refurbed and recapped. The components span the early 1970s to the early 1990s. Several are Japan market only pieces so I'm using 100V step down transformers.

The system is powered by a Pioneer SX-1980 reciever.

The towers from left to right have the following:

- Pioneer RT-909 R2R, Pioneer D-07A DAT deck, Pioneer MJ-D5 Minidisc recorder

- Pioneer PL-530 Turntable, Pioneer SD-1100 Stereo Display, Pioneer CT-F1250 Cassette deck, Pioneer PD-F1007 300-Disc CD carousel

- Pioneer SX-1980 Reciever, Pioneer PL-630 Turntable, Pioneer DT-510 Audio Digital Timer, Pioneer RH-60 8-Track player. Also in this tower is a power conditioner, an 8-port audio switch and a BluOS digital media streamer.

- Pioneer RT-2044 RTR, Pioneer SG-9800 Graphic Equalizer, Pioneer RG-2 Dynamic Processor, Pioneer SR-303 Reverberation Amplifier.

Everything is played through a set of Klipschorns.

The headphones are Pioneer SE-405 (vintage), Bang & Olufsen U70 (vintage) and Hifiman Sundara (modern).

Why two R2Rs? The 2044 will play 7.5 and 15 IPS and the 909 will play 3 3/4 and 7.5.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I'm impressed! Wow..... I've been dragging around my vintage Pioneer silver faced stereo equipment going on almost 44 years that I bought as a kid in the Marine Corps Okinawa, Japan 1979-80. My headphones are Pioneer Monitor 10. Didn't buy a RTR since I was tapped out as an E-3 and couldn't come up with another $500..... I wanted the Akai 635D at the time. Thanks for sharing!
 
I'm impressed! Wow..... I've been dragging around my vintage Pioneer silver faced stereo equipment going on almost 44 years that I bought as a kid in the Marine Corps Okinawa, Japan 1979-80. My headphones are Pioneer Monitor 10. Didn't buy a RTR since I was tapped out as an E-3 and couldn't come up with another $500..... I wanted the Akai 635D at the time. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Love the look of the Monitor 10 headphones but have never had a chance to try them. Semper Fi! (91-99)
 
Thanks! Love the look of the Monitor 10 headphones but have never had a chance to try them. Semper Fi! (91-99)
Thank you! While on active duty did you get the opportunity to purchase any vintage equipment? Those serviceman specials overseas in the main exchanges are legendary. Not sure when it all ended. But again, great looking system my friend!
 
Thank you! While on active duty did you get the opportunity to purchase any vintage equipment? Those serviceman specials overseas in the main exchanges are legendary. Not sure when it all ended. But again, great looking system my friend!
I never did but I also wasn't into the hobby at that point. I went back to Iwakuni a few years ago and looked around a bit. I found an old Sony Flamingo in a vintage shop that I picked up and brought home.
 
View attachment 2670091
I've been in the forums for a while now lurking and learning. Most questions I've had, someone else has asked previously so it's been a great resource as I've built the system. So thanks for that!

I've been pieceing together a vintage Pioneer system for about two years. I've more or less finished now with the last couple of components being refurbed and recapped. The components span the early 1970s to the early 1990s. Several are Japan market only pieces so I'm using 100V step down transformers.

The system is powered by a Pioneer SX-1980 reciever.

The towers from left to right have the following:

- Pioneer RT-909 R2R, Pioneer D-07A DAT deck, Pioneer MJ-D5 Minidisc recorder

- Pioneer PL-530 Turntable, Pioneer SD-1100 Stereo Display, Pioneer CT-F1250 Cassette deck, Pioneer PD-F1007 300-Disc CD carousel

- Pioneer SX-1980 Reciever, Pioneer PL-630 Turntable, Pioneer DT-510 Audio Digital Timer, Pioneer RH-60 8-Track player. Also in this tower is a power conditioner, an 8-port audio switch and a BluOS digital media streamer.

- Pioneer RT-2044 RTR, Pioneer SG-9800 Graphic Equalizer, Pioneer RG-2 Dynamic Processor, Pioneer SR-303 Reverberation Amplifier.

Everything is played through a set of Klipschorns.

The headphones are Pioneer SE-405 (vintage), Bang & Olufsen U70 (vintage) and Hifiman Sundara (modern).

Why two R2Rs? The 2044 will play 7.5 and 15 IPS and the 909 will play 3 3/4 and 7.5.
Very Nice, Tastefully Done...Happy Listening
 
Just wondering…which R2R sounds better to you…2044 versus 909 at 7.5 ips? Not a competition as my first 10.5 R2R was a 1020l and it was really good.
 
Just wondering…which R2R sounds better to you…2044 versus 909 at 7.5 ips? Not a competition as my first 10.5 R2R was a 1020l and it was really good.
I find the 2044 to have a better sound but it's completely subjective on my part as I've yet done a side by side comparison using the same reel. But now I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
 
What? No Pioneer speakers??
Seriously, very nice setup - you have every right to be proud of it!
Lol, believe me I've considered it especially since the SX-1980 has an A, B and C speaker selector. I went with the vintage horns simply because of the power of the receiver. I've seen a couple of sets of Pioneer speakers that I've considered but haven't pulled the trigger quite yet.
 
Now THAT's some brand loyalty, well done. If you need to find some Pioneer speakers that are worthy, consider the TZ9.
 
Back
Top Bottom