• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

U Turn Orbit Plus or Fluane rt81?

I own an Orbit and an RT81 (plus more) and have been happy with both. FWIW, Fluance just came out with new models that include positive changes like optical speed control, heavier platters, rim belt drive, etc. They are still priced well and offer W&F of .07, a very respectable spec IMO. Count me as a person who has never been interested in old garage finds, nor machines decades old, and for whom the new machines (many of them made in China--oh the HORROR) are a great answer.
 
Does the new Fluance TT have an SME style connector for the head shell?
I believe it has the same arm as the existing models. Swappable head shell but no adjustable VTA. Of course, I have adjustable VTA on a DD Pioneer, but have never used it. Neither my Orbit nor the Fluance have it. For the user who believes he'll pursue shibata and other exotic stylus shapes, adjustable VTA is (arguably) important. For the rest of us who primarily use ellipticals and conicals, adjustable VTA isn't particularly important IMO.
 
From what I've read on here, an SL-D2 is slightly better than those new entry-level tables (and I wouldn't doubt that : Technics was pouring a ton of money and resources in direct-drive turntable R&D at the time. Lots of expertise there...). SO I personally went that route. I picked up a black SL-D2 locally for $75 CAD, and I'm super happy with it, it has absolutely met my expectations and then some(and I still haven't experimented with the more exotic stylus shapes nor higher end cartridges yet). Motor is dead quiet too. And more importantly : those tables are beyond reliable(almost indestructible...)

Today if I was put in the same situation again, I would still make the same decision. and pick an SL-D2(or SL-Q2 or other good Technics DD table that can be had for $100) instead of paying $400 for a new table. Just my two cents
 
Last edited:
From what I've read on here, an SL-D2 is slightly better than those new entry-level tables (and I wouldn't doubt that : Technics was pouring a ton of money and resources in direct-drive turntable R&D at the time. Lots of expertise there...). SO I personally went that route. I picked up a black SL-D2 locally for $75 CAD, and I'm super happy with it, it has absolutely met my expectations and then some(and I still haven't experimented with the more exotic stylus shapes nor higher end cartridges yet). Motor is dead quiet too. And more importantly : those tables are beyond reliable(almost indestructible...)

Today if I was put in the same situation again, I would still make the same decision. and pick an SL-D2(or SL-Q2 or other good Technics DD table that can be had for $100) instead of paying $400 for a new table. Just my two cents

Another member making a wise choice.
 
Any table with a built in preamp is a non starter, even for the cheap parts they use in the preamp the cost could of been better spent elsewhere.
In my case, I bought an AT LP 120 USB as my third TT. I bought it specifically to be able to plug directly into a PA mixing board at gigs and into the USB port of my home computer for headphone listening. I actually like it a lot and it sounds great for my purposes. And it's just plug and play for both.

I agree that if one doesn't need that feature they could get something else without it. Personally, I also like the ridiculous torque and the ability to play 78's. When I'm listening and I need to stop the record, I just hit stop, and then start again when I start it back up. The spin-up and stop are both almost instantaneous.

And come on. Who doesn't want to radically mess with the speed all the time or play records backwards? :D
 
when i was consdidering dipping my toes in vinyl, these are exactly what i was told as well. pretty much every single thing that is said above is incorrect. a modest 3rd rate Chinese manufacturing center can and does manufacture parts inclusing tone arm to exactijng standards way better than 60s and 70s. technology ADVANCEMENT HAS made sure that every single resistor and cap work above and beyond the best that was possible back then. also your 250 dollar fluance will sell for 200 bucks any second that you want. it is very popular. also warranty.

i bought two vintage tables and both are noisy and i have to go deal with crap ebay sellers instead of dealing with quick and respectful warranty like a normal human being should. I have 450 dollars and a lot of time into the pioneer 707 and i cant find anyone to buy it for $250.
Interesting take. I have a bunch of 70's separates systems, and my Soundcraftsmen MA 5002 just picked up a wicked hum in the power supply. I swapped it out for my vintage Mitsubishi. Then it struck me: Why not just sell all that vintage stuff and swap in my 500 watt Crown class D PA Amp and be done with it.That amp only cost about $250 and, frankly, sounds amazing. And it has built in ability to shelf at 50 hz (If I have a subwoofer and want to protect my speakers).

Old stuff IS cool, but new stuff brings advantages to the table.
 
Back
Top Bottom