I found it odd when most phono preamps went OP amp based since they're all push
pull class AB. Even boutique brands such as Levinson and others. Then audiophiles
promote the use of single ended class A power amps that are hugely inefficient at a
fairly high power level. Why don't they demand single ended class A in their preamps
where the inefficiency has little impact given the very low power level?
On the other hand, OP amps have gotten so good that they're hard if not impossible to
beat. Still, it feels like cheating using OP amps.
I'm of the school of thinking that if the noise and distortion are low enough, the frequency
response matches to a tight tolerance and you keep them out of overload, then amplifiers
sound the same. I've done the A/B experiment many times. In the last few years even
with phono amps. It is as if the A/B switch is not connected even when it is.
Thanks for the reference to the MM-5/6 I'll take a look at them.
pull class AB. Even boutique brands such as Levinson and others. Then audiophiles
promote the use of single ended class A power amps that are hugely inefficient at a
fairly high power level. Why don't they demand single ended class A in their preamps
where the inefficiency has little impact given the very low power level?
On the other hand, OP amps have gotten so good that they're hard if not impossible to
beat. Still, it feels like cheating using OP amps.
I'm of the school of thinking that if the noise and distortion are low enough, the frequency
response matches to a tight tolerance and you keep them out of overload, then amplifiers
sound the same. I've done the A/B experiment many times. In the last few years even
with phono amps. It is as if the A/B switch is not connected even when it is.
Thanks for the reference to the MM-5/6 I'll take a look at them.
Last edited: