• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Uher 5000 Tape Deck

jmiles1960

Super Member
I am looking for information on the Uher 5000 portable tape deck. The unit needs to be restored, but I was curious if parts are even available, such as belt(s), etc... I just got it and have not even opened up the unit for inspection. Yes, I will post pics very shortly!

Wanted to see if anyone else had knowledge or experience with this vintage deck.

Uher's website is all in German!

Thanks - Jim
 
Register to hide this ad
No one knows anything about these old decks! I'm shocked! LOL

It's in pretty rough shape. Will make a good shelf display piece or I will trade it Larry D. for something!
 
No one knows anything about these old decks! I'm shocked! LOL

Don't be :) And maybe you should give those who might know UHER decks a little more than a day to catch your post ?.

We saw UHER here in Denmark, but they where expensive, more than they could stand for.
That said - I really don't think many UHER's besides the Report series found their way outside Europe. Personally i really did'nt like to repair those strange birds, but their bigger decks was certainly doable.

It's in pretty rough shape. Will make a good shelf display piece or I will trade it Larry D. for something!

Probably it would be a good door stopper, finding spares for those oldies are - even for people here in Europe - are in my humble opnion "Mission Impossible"
 
We saw UHER here in Denmark, but they where expensive, more than they could stand for.
That said - I really don't think many UHER's besides the Report series found their way outside Europe.

Actually they were pretty common over here, but they were pretty expensive and most folks made do with a Wollensak or Norelco for that type of portable machine. Other UHER machines such as the 1/4 track hi-fi stereo versions didn't sell very well and got panned by Consumer's Union for not having very good wow and flutter specs among other issues. The Report series, of course, was their big money maker and put them on the map over here.

FWIW - the UHER Universal 5000 was the type of recorder used by the Nixon administration in the early 70's (government spending, they could afford them) to play back the tapes secretly recorded in the Oval Office and other parts of the Whitehouse. Nixon's secretary Rose Mary Woods "accidentally" erased an incriminating section of tape with one, although experts were able to recognize the erase bias pattern left on the tape and prove that Woods' UHER was only partially responsible for the erasure. There were 8 other erasures on the tape besides the one made by her UHER Universal 5000 machine!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's comments / feedback.

Cool story AudioJones! I may keep it just for it's Nixon Administration legacy!
 
Back
Top Bottom