• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ultrasonic cleaner… review after cleaning 50 records

34dean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So, I purchased the Vevor 6L cleaner a couple weeks ago after some great advice here on the forum. I cleaned 50 albums over the last day or so using the following method:

35 celsius temp setting
15 minutes
5 albums per session
Distilled water + 5 drops Tergikleen
Rinse in the Spinclean 4-5 rotations
Rack dry for a few minutes and light dry with microfiber towel

I also purchased an adapter that slows down my rotations considerably as the out-of-the-box power supply is much too powerful and spins much too fast.

WOW! Great results! Not that I saw a ton of dirt or dark gray water after, but obviously this system works because my albums sound fantastic! Much better depth, clarity, and detail.

if you were on the fence for one of these cleaners, the $200 or so is money well invested if you are serious about your vinyl.
 
Register to hide this ad
So, I purchased the Vevor 6L cleaner a couple weeks ago after some great advice here on the forum. I cleaned 50 albums over the last day or so using the following method:

35 celsius temp setting
15 minutes
5 albums per session
Distilled water + 5 drops Tergikleen
Rinse in the Spinclean 4-5 rotations
Rack dry for a few minutes and light dry with microfiber towel

I also purchased an adapter that slows down my rotations considerably as the out-of-the-box power supply is much too powerful and spins much too fast.

WOW! Great results! Not that I saw a ton of dirt or dark gray water after, but obviously this system works because my albums sound fantastic! Much better depth, clarity, and detail.

if you were on the fence for one of these cleaners, the $200 or so is money well invested if you are serious about your vinyl.

Question. I was looking at the size of the 6L and it did not look big enough to get a record into? The 15L had a width of 11.5 inches so it might work and the size up from it had a even longer basket. I saw where the depth though was shallow on all of them as they were made to clean jewelry. How do I adapt?
 
34dean I have a VPI 16.5 RCM and use Audio Intelligent 3 step fluids to clean records and at least to me feel/hear vg results but after all I'v heard re US cleaners there is still room to get my records even cleaner. My question is were your records in decent condition prior to cleaning with the Vevor? The $200 price of the Vevor is really a bargain when you compare it to other record cleaning methods. Not that I would get rid of my VPI, I'd still use it at least for rinsing/drying after the US cleaning.
 
The $200 price of the Vevor is really a bargain when you compare it to other record cleaning methods. Not that I would get rid of my VPI, I'd still use it at least for rinsing/drying after the US cleaning.
There's a reason they are so cheap: breakdowns are common (I've been through 2) and usually have no warranty (YMMV).
There's also very real concerns about their speed of rotation and actual scientific effectiveness compared to the other more expensive options (say, the HumminGuru for example).
I'll leave all the data on that to a simple search in other music related Forums.

But if those caveats are OK, then I guess it's better than nothing.
 
34dean I have a VPI 16.5 RCM and use Audio Intelligent 3 step fluids to clean records and at least to me feel/hear vg results but after all I'v heard re US cleaners there is still room to get my records even cleaner. My question is were your records in decent condition prior to cleaning with the Vevor? The $200 price of the Vevor is really a bargain when you compare it to other record cleaning methods. Not that I would get rid of my VPI, I'd still use it at least for rinsing/drying after the US cleaning.
I have a VPI 16.5 also and use it with my USC and I get outstanding results. I use the VPI to dry and occasionally to clean a record quickly rather than use the USC if the record has already been ran through the USC, I also use Audio Intelligent cleaner.


Audiofreak71
 
34dean I have a VPI 16.5 RCM and use Audio Intelligent 3 step fluids to clean records and at least to me feel/hear vg results but after all I'v heard re US cleaners there is still room to get my records even cleaner. My question is were your records in decent condition prior to cleaning with the Vevor? The $200 price of the Vevor is really a bargain when you compare it to other record cleaning methods. Not that I would get rid of my VPI, I'd still use it at least for rinsing/drying after the US cleaning.

Yes, most were already in VG/VG+ or better condition. I am very interested in seeing what the cleaner would do for a record in rougher shape. Might just try that experiment!
 
I ran through about 850 records with mine, had no failures. Initially the temp control was bad, but the sensor was just not taped to the tank properly. Fixed that, it held up fine. I'm sure its not the finest or most robust thing ever created but for the price I'm not surprised.
 
So, I purchased the Vevor 6L cleaner a couple weeks ago after some great advice here on the forum. I cleaned 50 albums over the last day or so using the following method:

35 celsius temp setting
15 minutes
5 albums per session
Distilled water + 5 drops Tergikleen
Rinse in the Spinclean 4-5 rotations
Rack dry for a few minutes and light dry with microfiber towel

I also purchased an adapter that slows down my rotations considerably as the out-of-the-box power supply is much too powerful and spins much too fast.

WOW! Great results! Not that I saw a ton of dirt or dark gray water after, but obviously this system works because my albums sound fantastic! Much better depth, clarity, and detail.

if you were on the fence for one of these cleaners, the $200 or so is money well invested if you are serious about your vinyl.

Glad it’s working out! One suggestion, for 6L of distilled water you should be using at least 15 drops of Tergikleen for best results.
 
Last edited:
I have a VPI 16.5 also and use it with my USC and I get outstanding results. I use the VPI to dry and occasionally to clean a record quickly rather than use the USC if the record has already been ran through the USC, I also use Audio Intelligent cleaner.


Audiofreak71

I just bought their US solution, seems to work very well from the few records I have done so far.

I previously used their Down With Dirty solution with my Okki Nokki .

Athanasios
 
Has anyone personally noticed dramatic improvement (depth, clarity) after cleaning NEW modern pressings?
Every account I've read concerns older, used records.

Most of my modern purchases have been outstanding fresh out of the jacket. I'm wondering if using my US will dramatically improve them too.
 
I just bought their US solution, seems to work very well from the few records I have done so far.

I previously used their Down With Dirty solution with my Okki Nokki .

Athanasios
I use their cleaner also it does work very good.


Audiofreak71
 
Last edited:
Has anyone personally noticed dramatic improvement (depth, clarity) after cleaning NEW modern pressings?
Every account I've read concerns older, used records.

Most of my modern purchases have been outstanding fresh out of the jacket. I'm wondering if using my US will dramatically improve them too.
It depends on the new record, I clean all my records before I play them. Some I have gotten new that were very dirty and after a U.S. cleaning it was night and day better so yes there can be a big benefit to US cleaning a new record and I recommend it.


Audiofreak71
 
So, I purchased the Vevor 6L cleaner a couple weeks ago after some great advice here on the forum. I cleaned 50 albums over the last day or so using the following method:

35 celsius temp setting
15 minutes
5 albums per session
Distilled water + 5 drops Tergikleen
Rinse in the Spinclean 4-5 rotations
Rack dry for a few minutes and light dry with microfiber towel

I also purchased an adapter that slows down my rotations considerably as the out-of-the-box power supply is much too powerful and spins much too fast.

WOW! Great results! Not that I saw a ton of dirt or dark gray water after, but obviously this system works because my albums sound fantastic! Much better depth, clarity, and detail.

if you were on the fence for one of these cleaners, the $200 or so is money well invested if you are serious about your vinyl.

A good ultrasonic cleaner, in my experience, is the single best investment in overall improvement and enjoyment of spinning vinyl. Bar none. :thumbsup: ;)
 
Most of my modern purchases have been outstanding fresh out of the jacket. I'm wondering if using my US will dramatically improve them too.
If you try it let us know. All of mine have been fine out of the wrapper too (most recently), and I'm too lazy to fix what doesn't sound like it needs fixing. :)
 
I love my US and can attest to it making a big difference. I found a Soul LP that was almost unplayable. I put it through the US twice, and even my wife was stunned at how much better it sounds now. It is one of my favourite albums! I agree with what many have stated. Well worth the investment! I have about 100 LPs waiting for the renovations to be done so I can clean them. Some good stuff in there! Renos are done and they are cleaning the house tomorrow. After that, we will clean it again, and then we can unload the storage unit! WooHoo!
Esther Phillips - From A Whisper To A Scream
 
Has anyone personally noticed dramatic improvement (depth, clarity) after cleaning NEW modern pressings?

Hi @heyraz, a question that has been asked many times before.

In my experience, with some new records it will, with some it won't depending at least to some degree on the quality control of the pressing plant. There are numerous steps involved between when the record is pressed and when it actually leaves the facility. I've been fortunate to have toured the Analogue Productions Quality Record Pressings facility in Salina, Kansas and seen first-hand all that happens in the process.

I make it a habit to US clean every record that I purchase and am happy with the results. There have been times when I've not done this and found, even with some of what we might consider the "better" pressing facilities (MoFi comes to mind) and heard pops and ticks that after cleaning in my US cleaner have disappeared. Was it the US cleaning or the stylus dredging out remnants of vinyl left in the grooves from the pressing? I can't really say, but I'd rather have the US cleaner doing this "heavy lifting" for which it is intended than to place the burden on an expensive and pretty fragile stylus.....you?
 
Back
Top Bottom