• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Underated Metal Albums

Vintage_Hi-F

Vintage Audio Geek
What metal albums out there do you feel get an undeserved bad rap?

Personally I think Saxons two late 80's efforts (Rock the Nations and Destiny) get smacked down with out even being listened to, while yes they are not Crusader, Wheel of Steel, or Denin and Leather but they are still much better than Innocence Is No Excuse (even if Elton John played piano on Rock The Nations). Though they are much more Hair Metal than there previous works they still Rock harder than Judas Priest Hair Metal entry. :D

Destiny
SOS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR0f6W5k0sQ
Song For Emma: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wmGu1aUnjs&feature=related
Ride Like The Wind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-OIRYbXGpk&feature=related

Rock The Nations
Rock The Nations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U8m_B-gigA&feature=related
Running Hot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVLle32pM_o&feature=related
We Came Here To ROCK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnZz-jiXCrU&feature=related
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I still enjoy cranking up KISS's 1974 self-titled debut LP from time to time. I think it's their best one, though not a big seller. Strutter and Black Diamond are underrated gems.
 
I still enjoy cranking up KISS's 1974 self-titled debut LP from time to time. I think it's their best one, though not a big seller. Strutter and Black Diamond are underrated gems.

A kick ass album for sure!! It's Cold Gin time again!
 
Although it gets passed over a lot... I still think that Iron Maidens self titled debut album with the different singer is thier best. That album freaking rocks.
 
Although it gets passed over a lot... I still think that Iron Maidens self titled debut album with the different singer is thier best. That album freaking rocks.

you right that is a killer album, IMO, Bruce Dickinson sings it much better though.:music:
 
you right that is a killer album, IMO, Bruce Dickinson sings it much better though.:music:

I will agree that Maidens first 2 album get a ton of flak and are very competent albums, though I prefer Powerslave and No Prayer For The Dying. Have you checked out Dickinsons pre-maiden act Samson, they are spectacular especially the album Shock Tactics.
 
Great thread!

Dickinson's solo work typically gets bashed, but Accident of Birth is a fan-freakin-tastic effort!!

OK, here's one for ya - Damn the machine (S/T) - Chris Poland's band after he left Megadeth - fantastic "prog-ish" metal album with Chris' brother on drums.

Any prog/metal fan would love it.
 
Halford's "Crucible" doesn't get enough mention, nor does Bruce Dickinson's solo work, especially "Chemical Wedding". It has Adrian Smith on guitar and to me represents everything good about later-era Iron Maiden without the droning, repetitive bass lines that are mixed WAY too high.
 
I've always thought Maiden's 2000 "Brave New World" was one of their best works. Not too big of a fan of their work after that though.
 
^I really like a couple of songs from that, especially "Thin Line...". Overall I think it's a solid effort, and ranks just behind Number of the Beast and Killers.
 
I've always thought Maiden's 2000 "Brave New World" was one of their best works. Not too big of a fan of their work after that though.

I agree, one of their best albums.

I've never listened to X Factor or Virtual XI (Blaze Bayley vocals) but, The Clansman and Sign of the Cross (written by Harris) sound awesome sung by Bruce

I'm going to say Quiet Riot as well. Metal Health sold a lot of copies but I don't think it is as appreciated as it should be. Slick Black Cadillac, Breathless, Run for Cover...good rockin' songs :music:
 
How about a great album that was met with indifference? I nominate:
troub.jpg

Came out in 1992 & wasn't grunge...
 
Evidently "Anvil" fits the under appreciated genre. Recently watched their documentary "The Story of Anvil", made me wish these guys had made it big. The DVD is a good watch.
 
Back
Top Bottom