• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Underdogs - Undervalued Vintage Receivers

Triumph65

New Member
I’ve been looking at vintage receivers and having fun getting reacquainted with 2 channel audio, reliving my early adult years in the 80’s.

Searched for threads in underrated/undervalued vintage receivers. Found one on amps, receivers & speakers from 2017 but realize things have changed since then.

Interested in good performing, good looking receivers from the 70’s and early 80’s that not everyone is after, small, medium and large. The brands models that don’t carry the big ticket prices on eBay etc...

Also, when picking up used units at GW, CL, eBay, etc... which models are less likely to need a complete overhaul.

Posted this in Dollars & Sense knowing that pricing will come into play. Please share pics of your favorite underdogs and any advice on used/refurbished average prices you are aware of.

I noticed that some models are very plentiful and some are not. Using Sherwood and Realistic for example. There are loads of reasonably priced Sherwood 7100A’s on the bay and a fair number of Realistic SA90.

Some others that fly under the radar are pretty rare and therefore more $$$ as supply and demand come in to play.

Also interested in under recognized models in the popular brands; Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui, Kenwood, etc.

Thanks!!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I spoke with my college housemate the other day (class of 1979) who is still using the same Harman Kardon 330 receiver he used in college. I think it's a 330D. Using it daily has probably helped its longevity; anything that old should at least have the power supply electrolytic capacitors replaced.
 
Sherwood--sounds big like Sansui but without the feeding frenzy. JVC--looks take getting used to but they made some incredible stuff. JVC JR-S600 had huge toroidal trafo and (2) 22,000uF caps for a mind-blowing 44,000uF of filter capacitance, 110 watts RMS, nice meters. Again, big sound but without paying through the nose for similar Marantz, Pioneer, etc.
 
vector research
nikko
jvc
optonica
concept
project
akai
Agree with the list except for the Concept. Prices have gone up significantly for the Concept receivers. Back in the days, it wasn't hard to spot a 100wpc Concept at a pawn shop for $100 but not anymore.

My personal favorite undervalued receivers are Kenwood.

All receivers from the 70's and 80's will require some sort of "overhaul" the OP mentioned. Even if it works, you're not really hearing its optimal sound. When I recapped a Kenwood I found on the street all soaked from rain, I instantly fell in love with its sound.
 
I know this is a bit off from what your asking about but...

I would agree with what's been said, many stock 70s and some 80s era receivers may well need work and sooner than later. I've worked on 80s era units that the ps caps rattled from being dried out.

Given your criteria is bang for the buck without needing work. Personally I'd be eyeing up the boat loads of home theater receivers from the 90s and early 2000s. They can easily be found for $100 or less. Show up on the local used market and ebay. One of my personal favorites are old integra brand monsters. Built like absolute tanks and are often iron clad reliable. Also monsters from Yamaha, denon, sony, onkyo and others.

I wish I had a pic of my integra with the cover off handy. Probably around 60 lbs. A toroid transformer that's the size of a small cake pan and 2 giant power caps that are slightly smaller than soda cans. It is a pre hdmi ht unit. I paid less than $20 for it at a thrift store.

These types of units are the best bang for the $ around for receivers imo.
 
I like the 330’s. Found this info on them in a separate thread.
 

Attachments

  • ED65B2F0-1208-4DE6-9FDF-3685CFA521A9.jpeg
    ED65B2F0-1208-4DE6-9FDF-3685CFA521A9.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 44
For what the HK are now selling for usually Id take some of the other off brands for less. Unless you find a HK730 that unit rocks....
 
I know this is a bit off from what your asking about but...

I would agree with what's been said, many stock 70s and some 80s era receivers may well need work and sooner than later. I've worked on 80s era units that the ps caps rattled from being dried out.

Given your criteria is bang for the buck without needing work. Personally I'd be eyeing up the boat loads of home theater receivers from the 90s and early 2000s. They can easily be found for $100 or less. Show up on the local used market and ebay. One of my personal favorites are old integra brand monsters. Built like absolute tanks and are often iron clad reliable. Also monsters from Yamaha, denon, sony, onkyo and others.

I wish I had a pic of my integra with the cover off handy. Probably around 60 lbs. A toroid transformer that's the size of a small cake pan and 2 giant power caps that are slightly smaller than soda cans. It is a pre hdmi ht unit. I paid less than $20 for it at a thrift store.

These types of units are the best bang for the $ around for receivers imo.
Yep.I found this out about seven years ago and they replaced all 70s unit. I had as main units.
 
Old Scott's Like my avatar. TOTL in 73 55 WPC. All the boards are modular and can come out without de soldering. Got this for 40 bucks 18 years ago and still works perfect after a slight bias adjustment. IMG_2347.JPGIMG_2371.JPG
 
@nolasally - Thanks! Any favorite models?

I’ve been looking at Nikko, AKAI, Realistic and Sherwood. For lower powered units, Noticed there are loads of Sherwood 7100 & 7100A on the bay and that the stated wattage for that receiver is very conservative. Also, a couple good Looking AKAI 1125’s.

Some of the big Realistic’s have become pricey (2100, 2200, 2080).
 
@PPstereo - A very good point indeed. I would like at least a couple of the vintage with am/fm dial tuner.

I would like to see your Integra and model number. That would probably be a great bet for my garage/shop. I’d hate to put any vintage receiver that I have work money into. I had a couple old AV receivers out there running two different sets of receivers that finally gave up, probably due to the humidity.
Would love some of your favorite Integra model numbers.
 
@NH-MAN , I’d love easy to work on without soldering. My soldering skills are not the best.
Can you share the model number on the Scott?

I believe you also have a couple really nice Realistics, if I remember correctly.
 
To me the most important thing is to stay away from the monster receivers - those 100W+ guys. The Sherwoods can sound amazing and are not too pricey - I use a 7100A in my bedroom - very sweet little receiver. Stay away from any brand that gets a premium for the name - McIntosh, Marantz, Sansui, FISHER, Pioneer etc. NH-Man’s Scott looks very well built.
 
Back
Top Bottom