• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Unicorn Marantz Model 9 Prototype, value?

bryans12v

Marantz / Altec Junkie
Subscriber
So I recently came across quite possibly the rarest known Marantz in the world. It's. one of a kind prototype that is believed to have been built by Sid Smith sometime in 1960. This unit has an 8 tube configuration using the missing V2 tube that was omitted from production. It also has a few other differences that production models didn't have.

Here's the original thread posted a few days ago.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/any-model-9-aficionados.730222/


Although I have no intentions of selling it anytime soon, I'm curious as to what it may be worth. I'd really like to adjust my insurance accordingly.

Thoughts?
 
Register to hide this ad
Well I don't think you have a million, half million or really anything that would require insurance adjustment. I would say if it was restored and working it might sell for twice as much as a restored production #9

EDIT I changed this quote in post #5
 
Last edited:
Well I don't think you have a million, half million or really anything that would require insurance adjustment. I would say if it was restored and working it might sell for twice as much as a restored production #9

Should've been more clear. An adjustment to my renters insurance. The reason being is the person above me has had two watwr leaks in the past two years. Second happened this morning directly over my stereo gear. Luckily my old lady saw the seam in the sheet rock wet and I moved everything out of the way, poked a hole and let it drain. It ended up being her fridge leaking and we fixed it but it scared the heck out of me.

Thanks for the reply!
 
It may be difficult to get any sort of set value that an insurance company would accept. I imagine there are appraisers out there for vintage stereo equipment, but what they'd put this at is difficult to guess.
 
You know I just did some reading in your other thread. You have to understand what you have and really I think you all/few got some gold fever or something. What you have is a test mule to figure out what not to do and what's ok in a what might become a production amp. It's a tool and most likely quiet a few would have been built, we can see at least 6 where three pairs.

Unlike a production amp where as you have parts that became standard, this amp has some non standard stuff, it should. However it's also 60+ years old, it didn't get put away and never touched all these years and Sid was the last to use it. It could have changed many hands in that time till it died.

What you have is a test mule, thats seen a lot better days and really might only have value to Marantz if they have a collection, they might already have a few of these. It has far more value for history documentation than a monetary value. I'm thinking it could be worth $1000 to someone that just want's to own it and leave it alone. Nobody would be spending tens of thousand on a single mono block, non working unit, test mule.
 
You know I just did some reading in your other thread. You have to understand what you have and really I think you all/few got some gold fever or something. What you have is a test mule to figure out what not to do and what's ok in a what might become a production amp. It's a tool and most likely quiet a few would have been built, we can see at least 6 where three pairs.

Unlike a production amp where as you have parts that became standard, this amp has some non standard stuff, it should. However it's also 60+ years old, it didn't get put away and never touched all these years and Sid was the last to use it. It could have changed many hands in that time till it died.

What you have is a test mule, thats seen a lot better days and really might only have value to Marantz if they have a collection, they might already have a few of these. It has far more value for history documentation than a monetary value. I'm thinking it could be worth $1000 to someone that just want's to own it and leave it alone. Nobody would be spending tens of thousand on a single mono block, non working unit, test mule.


Good points but dont assume its dead. It was sold to me as working but two tubes broke in transit. It's going in tomorrow to see if it sings.

Seems a little low to me considering the reissues are selling for at least 10k/pair.

Even if it was only worth the 1k, still made lots if all else fails.
 
It's hard to put a value on something that may be the only one known, especially a prototype test unit that this appears to be. I'd think it would be harder to put a value on something like 1 mono block, when you need 2. If you had 2 of these, same setup, parts, design etc..I'd say the value wold be a lot more. Imo, this piece is a collector piece of Marantz gear and that's it. If you had 2, it would broaden the interest as more audiophiles would maybe pay $$$$ to use them as a pair. I think the value is $2000ish and that's what I'd insure it for.
 
For a test mule, I would insure it for twice the value of a real one, because operationally it is one, and replacement value is the reason we buy insurance. This pegs insurance at $10 to 12K.

As far as real value, you need to compare the stampings, the chassis bends, the screen, and use of rivets, screws, faceplate stamped lettering and markings against an early actual production unit, with a calm third party arbiter as the judge. I would find an old retired Marantz employee as quickly as possible so you can get a letter of provenance generated that will carry some weight, if it is indeed a suspected mule or prototype.

As far as it being the rarest of Marantzs, you need to breath using a paper bag a few times to stop your hyperventilating. Both Sid and Saul's personal complete units are worth far, far more than this unit, as they are the personal units, in glorious shape with unquestioned provenance, letters provided by the family and estate, photos, and filled out warranty cards. It is a great find, and something to be excited about, historically significant if documented, and there it ends without any further history.
 
I really appreciate the honest feedback guys. I'll admit I have been a little worked up the past week and this news does ease the anxiety a lot!

I will continue to discuss things with Marantz about it, thier corporate headquarters in less than a mile from my job in Mahwah, NJ.
 
As far as it being the rarest of Marantzs, you need to breath using a paper bag a few times to stop your hyperventilating. Both Sid and Saul's personal complete units are worth far, far more than this unit, as they are the personal units, in glorious shape with unquestioned provenance, letters provided by the family and estate, photos, and filled out warranty cards. It is a great find, and something to be excited about, historically significant if documented, and there it ends without any further history.

Do you have any knowledge on the existance of these? So far I don't think there is any.
 
You know I just did some reading in your other thread. You have to understand what you have and really I think you all/few got some gold fever or something. What you have is a test mule to figure out what not to do and what's ok in a what might become a production amp. It's a tool and most likely quiet a few would have been built, we can see at least 6 where three pairs.

Unlike a production amp where as you have parts that became standard, this amp has some non standard stuff, it should. However it's also 60+ years old, it didn't get put away and never touched all these years and Sid was the last to use it. It could have changed many hands in that time till it died.

What you have is a test mule, thats seen a lot better days and really might only have value to Marantz if they have a collection, they might already have a few of these. It has far more value for history documentation than a monetary value. I'm thinking it could be worth $1000 to someone that just want's to own it and leave it alone. Nobody would be spending tens of thousand on a single mono block, non working unit, test mule.


What a ridiculous post, 1000 dollars? A serious Marantz collector in Asia will drop 5-10k on this like it's nothing just for the bragging rights at the very least.
 
Test mules may (or may not) wildly differ from production units with the biggest variable on this one the output transformer. Is yours a match to production units or one variant tried along the way? As a single unit it limits use to mono apps as finding a mate may be next to impossible to the version you have. It also limits the pool of buyers to that of the hardcore Marantz collector. Value could go either way IMO, from 1/2 of a production unit to multiples. It all comes down to your buyer(s). My background is on the production side of loudspeakers (but no brand remotely close to the Marantz mythos). FWIW, I presided over a few prototype sales along the way too. Although definitely cool they did not come close to matching production unit prices. They ended up being interesting footnotes for the product's development path and little more. Your 9 is a different animal though and that might be the x-factor that throws all settled science out the window.
 
I think Dazaa is on the right track. One rich fanatical collector is all it takes, and you're not dealing with some lesser known brand here. OTOH, I have serial number 1 of a Kelvin-Varley divider, probably built by Loebe Julie himself, that's likely worth exactly the same as any other Julie divider. To me, however, it's highly collectible. There just isn't a market for such things as there is for Marantz.
 
What a ridiculous post, 1000 dollars? A serious Marantz collector in Asia will drop 5-10k on this like it's nothing just for the bragging rights at the very least.

Hey new guy, read a few more of his posts before popping off. It was either sarcasm or a typo.
 
There goes the neighborhood! (some dumb bastard with only 431 posts)
Geeez-what's his crime?
And I shouldn't have to interpret 427s posts, I generally take them pretty literally
 
I'm serous on if sold going for around $1000 I bet the Op wouldn't spend that much on it and didn't. Then once in his possession he has so far broken tubes and washed of ID factors. It's what it is and this thread isn't what it will sell for, as that's against the rules. Insurance will want to know the last sales price as they don't just insure Willynilly what ever you say it's worth.
 
Last edited:
Since there is no benchmark it [hypothetically] would bring what a buyer will pay, nothing new there is it.

But since its not for sale, how many times have we all said that, bump up the coverage to make yourself sleep better.
 
Last edited:
Do you have any knowledge on the existance of these? So far I don't think there is any.

Bryan, if you went to their estate disbursement and then the sale, you would know about them. They exist, just like the gear from Les Paul's estate, Stuart Hegeman's, and Avery Fisher's estate. Most of these significant collectors want nothing to do with anyone outside of their very private circle, and loath publicity for very good reasons. I will never disclose the whereabouts, nor the owners, of either to honor privacy requests.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom