• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Unitra (made in Poland) speakers

The woofer: Unitra was the company name in the old days and it became later Tonsil so the woofer might be allready an original replacement.

No. Unitra didn't manufacture anything. It was just an association of several companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitra

Tonsil existed as Tonsil before Unitra and now, after Unitra is gone. I have several 1950s Tonsil, pre-Unitra speakers.

The original woofers with textile surrounds disappeared in the early 1980s, later woofers had foam surrounds that would rot within 10 years.

The screw type terminal might be an export-only thing. The DIN sockets were replaced with push button type terminals circa 1980-81. I live in Poland and I know most of the stuff that was produced here. In fact, my father has a pair of ZG40C/8 speakers, just like the OP's but with a Polish language plate on the front and no screw type terminal.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Winters. I already bought a pair of replacement Realistic tweeters off eBay before you or someone else said they aren't original. Will wait until they come in and see how they sound.

Emmm...

Sir, you e-mailed a Romanian vendor, not the Polish company.
Original midrange driver should be "GD 12/5/2", original tweeter: "GDWK 9/40"
GD 12/5/2 has not been in production since the 1980s. However, the updated version of GDWK 9/40 is still in production (as GDWK 9/80). You can buy it here (original Polish Tonsil distributor): http://www.e-tonsil.pl/index.php?p83,gdwk-9-80

I can ask them about shipping to the USA if that would be helpful to you.

Tonsil's webiste:
http://www.tonsilproducent.pl/
 
Tonsil existed as Tonsil before Unitra and now, after Unitra is gone.

Thank you for clearing this Tonsil - Unitra name stuff.
I've been also looking for a UNITRA fan page that was in Polish (not the forum) but now I lost it. Do you know what the adress might be?
 
No, unfortunately it seems that the site has been down for quite some time now. I used to post there.
 
Back
Top Bottom