• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Unknown Turntable; ID if possible

Roger G F

Active Member
Hi Gang- I was looking at some vinyl today and they guy had some vintage equipment, including this high-end TT. The base is a goldish color with a textured finish. Looks like an SME tonearm but at a quick glace did not see a nameplate.

Any help on ID and value in unknow working condition would be treatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Roger
 

Attachments

  • IMG-0121.jpg
    IMG-0121.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 132
Register to hide this ad
Looks like a Nottingham Analogue Horizon to me.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini


edit: typo extermination *sigh*
 
Thanks Manfred- I hear these had issues with the non-SE versions. Any thoughts on ID the difference between a SE and non SE version? Should I buy it cheap or just stay away?
 
Thanks Manfred- I hear these had issues with the non-SE versions. Any thoughts on ID the difference between a SE and non SE version? Should I buy it cheap or just stay away?
How cheap is it? Looks like it was 1000 pounds new which is about $1200 these days. Rega make a good tonearm and I’ve heard good things about Nottingham record players. If it was a good deal I would jump on it.
 
Very simple design....may or may not need a new belt, motor might be shot (although doubtful) but you can get a replacement pretty cheap as it was nothing special or proprietary. The bearing will need to be cleaned and re-lubed before you can tell if there is any damage to it but that's actually kind of doubtful as well. Otherwise, it should clean up nicely and be a very capable table. In present condition, I don't think it will bring a lot of $$$ so make an offer you're comfortable with and even if you have to spend a couple hundred to get it up to snuff you will still be good. I have the Spacedeck and have replaced the motor and the belt and that's all I had to do with it, finding it used and fairly well-cared for. I made some upgrades, the heavy kit for one and I also found a Wave Mechanic power supply that permits very, very accurate speed adjustment. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
 
Last edited:
If you should need a motor, let me know and I'll provide some info, especially the process of getting the old one out of the motor pod and getting the new one in there properly. Typically, these things would over time develop a bit of "wobble" in the shaft and that is something you don't want. You can just gently take the pulley between thumb and forefinger and move it around a bit. If there is no play, you should be good to go (unless of course it is frozen).
 
Here is the rest of the story.... It was a good week for turntables..... I had someone reach out and give me a Dual 1229 a week ago yesterday. Good Shape needing the full mechanical ungunking ( technical term ;-) ) .

In addition to the Nottingham Analogue Horizon which was dead quiet when testing, I ended up with a Artison Q Deck, Pioneer PL-50, and Sanyo TP-80SB. All tested well with the need of serious cleaning, new belts some cueing grease etc...

As far as cartridges goes there was a Pickering XV-15 on the Dual, no Styli, a Ortofon Super 30 OM on the Horizon and the Q Deck, an AT 6 on the PL-50 and a on the Sanyo.

Things I need to get them all running:

-Styli for the dual. Worth getting a new Styli for the Pickering to keep it stock? Good source for the styli?

-3 belts for the PL-50, Q Deck and Horizon. Good source for these?

-Power supply unit for the Q Deck. Anyone know what this is and a source?

5 TT's, $500.

A good week indeed!
 

Attachments

  • IMG-0127.jpg
    IMG-0127.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 44
  • RenderedImage.JPG
    RenderedImage.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 44
Styli for the dual. Worth getting a new Styli for the Pickering to keep it stock?
Keeping it stock is not something a stylus for a Pickering in a Dual will do. In the US, most Duals were sold with a cartidge as an additional line item and was from all the different manufacturers. And as to stock, finding an original Pickering for that cartridge will not be the easiest, so again not stock. But just shoving a Pickering replacement nail in the cartridge will make it work again. I haven't had to look for a Pickering replacement so don't know the best options today.

Nice pile of turntable work you have collected. Gonna be some good ones in them.
 
Any thoughts on where to get a new belt for the Nottingham Analogue Horizon?

Does anyone have a manual for this TT as well?

Thanks!

Roger
 
Does anyone have a manual for the Nottingham Analogue Horizon?

Have you already tried to contact NA directly? They have a contact form on their web-site (see there: https://nottinghamanaloguestudio.co.uk/) - so if you haven't yet, I'd suggest to contact them and ask, whether they could send you a manual in PDF form as well as about a source for belts in your area (or at least a distributor for your region, that would know dealers in your area, from which you could get a new belt...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I have a new belt on the way and contacted NAS direct for a pdf manual.

Looking forward to getting this thing running respectfully again!
 
If you live in the US, Nottingham will direct you to Hollywood Sound in Florida, at least they did a couple years ago as that business was their US distributor then. Anything you need in the way of parts will need to be ordered through them. I believe there are other dealers around, but they get their inventory from Hollywood Sound as far as I'm told by them. The stuff is really pricey for what it is. Example, I needed a collet for an arm I purchased, a very simple aluminum collet that was priced at $250......and the belt for my Spacedeck was $50. I'm happy with the performance.
 
Back
Top Bottom