• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Upgrade a side step, or actual upgrade?

mikeyax

Well-Known Member
Ok guys,
So here's the question. I have a very heavily modified Music Hall 2.2 that I got back in 2010.
Upgrades are:
-Acrylic platter
-Speed box II
-Sheets of lead under plinth (for any resonance issues and to add heft)
-Upgraded counterweight
-Tonearm dampening with a Herbies halo titanium damper ring
-Sorbothane discs under the feet
-ortofon 2M Bronze cart
-blue tack and sorbothane under the suspended motor mounts
-Cnc aluminum Bren1 record clamp

Table is run through a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II with a regulated PSU


My question is: would a Music Hall Mmf 7.1 be an upgrade or just a side step?
Why or why not?

Tia!
 
Register to hide this ad
I believe that the 7.1 arm is equal to the Pro-Ject 9c so that would be an upgrade over the 2.2 aluminum arm. The double plinth and isolated motor would alone be an upgrade plus you could take some of your mods and add them to the 7.1. Food for thought...the Jelco SA-250 has the same effective length (229mm) as the MMF 2.2 arm plus has a detachable headshell. It's an upgrade over the stock arm for sure.
 
Ok guys,
So here's the question. I have a very heavily modified Music Hall 2.2 that I got back in 2010.
Upgrades are:
-Acrylic platter
-Speed box II
-Sheets of lead under plinth (for any resonance issues and to add heft)
-Upgraded counterweight
-Tonearm dampening with a Herbies halo titanium damper ring
-Sorbothane discs under the feet
-ortofon 2M Bronze cart
-blue tack and sorbothane under the suspended motor mounts
-Cnc aluminum Bren1 record clamp

Doing all of that reminds me of the "Stone Soup" story I read in 3rd grade.
 
Doing all of that reminds me of the "Stone Soup" story I read in 3rd grade.
So what you're saying is that I've taken a stone and turned it into a delicious meal?
Sounds about right.
This is why I'm asking if the 7.1 is an upgrade.
I guess now the question is, how much of an upgrade?
As I've taken care of most issues that a turntable may have.
Is spending 5-700$ on a used 7.1 going to get me 5-700$ more in sound quality?

I appreciate all the feedback guys.
 
With all of the upgrades/mods to your current table, it's hardly fair to call it an MMF-2.2. And since none of us has heard this particular collection of mods in your room, with your gear, we kind of have to guess just how good it might sound. Then guess how much better or different a bone stock 7.1 might be? Sorry, this is one where you can't say "..you do the math." You're just going to have to try this for yourself.

Some generalizations are in order, tho. If you like the 2M Bronze, it likely won't sound any worse on the upgraded arm of the 7.1. Sorbothane footers are never a bad idea. And, perhaps best, if the 7.1 does turn out to be better out of the box than your modded 2.2, think of how much better the 7.1 can sound when you're done modding that one!
 
T
With all of the upgrades/mods to your current table, it's hardly fair to call it an MMF-2.2. And since none of us has heard this particular collection of mods in your room, with your gear, we kind of have to guess just how good it might sound. Then guess how much better or different a bone stock 7.1 might be? Sorry, this is one where you can't say "..you do the math." You're just going to have to try this for yourself.

Some generalizations are in order, tho. If you like the 2M Bronze, it likely won't sound any worse on the upgraded arm of the 7.1. Sorbothane footers are never a bad idea. And, perhaps best, if the 7.1 does turn out to be better out of the box than your modded 2.2, think of how much better the 7.1 can sound when you're done modding that one!
Thanks for the thoughtful response.
My table does sound very good to my ears.
The MS Phonomena II opened it up quite a bit.
I think i might wait to upgrade a bit longer.

I appreciate it.
 
Don't get me wrong. If you want the 7.1, get it! It's not likely that it will sound noticeably worse than the 2.2 and has better engineering and build quality to begin with. If you DO somehow feel that it needs to be modded to reach where you were with your 2.2, it likely won't take nearly as much to equal that performance, and from there on, everything else is gravy.
 
So I did a thing...
I just bought a VPI Scout SE w/ motor upgrade and Mini HRX feet.

I'm stoked!
Though I had to sell my Speedmaster Pro to get it. :(
 
I think that will be a decided upgrade. :thumbsup:

A standard Scout would be what I'd most likely buy if I were to upgrade, barring any crazy used deals.
 
You exchanged an Omega for a turntable??

That's sacrilege! I'd have kept the watch.
I agree, however, the priority, for me, is music.
Also, I don't look forward to $700 servicing every 5 yrs.
It also stresses the bejesus out of me when I wear it (not that often) because I'm so worried about dropping or smashing it somehow.

At least a turntable sits, looks pretty, and doesn't have to be fussed over (for the most part)
Ps. I also got to pay some bills with the extra $ :) so it's all good.
 
Time moves on whether you monitor it or not, and there's a timepiece everywhere you look. Music, now there's something personal, and a fine TT, that is something to behold. The right decision, easy to see!
 
Excellent choice. You bought it with the factory mods, so no DIY stuff. It's already much better than the 7.1, let us know how it's working out for you. I'm jealous!
 
Back
Top Bottom